The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 6:28am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Behavioral Models of PLL, DAC and ADC (Read 3869 times)
Jamz_will

Singapore
Behavioral Models of PLL, DAC and ADC
Aug 14th, 2006, 7:21pm

Hi,

I would like to check the behavioral models of PLL. DAC or ADC are doing the correct function.
How can i check this? Do i need also a testbench for this? What tools i need to use?

Thanks alot! Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Behavioral Models of PLL, DAC and ADC
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2006, 3:37pm

I think the responses to your post http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1154423549 will answer this.

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Re: Behavioral Models of PLL, DAC and ADC
Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2006, 10:51am

Tools: Use an AMS simulator like Cadence's AMS-Designer, Mentor's Eldo or synopsis Discovery-AMS (I use AMS-Designer, cause that what I have experience with and licenses for (needs three Spectre Tokens))

Make a schematic TB in Virtuoso..
figure out what behaviors you need to check.. (phase lock, lock time, correct output frequency for PLL?)
write Verilog-A models to check those parameters..
For the ADC you might be able to simply perform a logic (bitwise) XOR of the outputs from the circuit and behavioral model,
for the DAC you could take the difference between the two outputs.
I used an ADC as the example in my Tutorial on Verilog-AMS language given at BMAS a few years ago. so I have examples of an output comparsion block I did for the ADC there..
(Let me plug BMAS again, its coming around in just a couple of weeks Sept 14-15, REGISTER NOW!!- right after CICC (and CDNlive unfortunately the SAME time as CICC) - in Pleasant San Jose..

Jonathan

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.