The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 1:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MOSFET Symmetry? (Read 12554 times)
Croaker

MOSFET Symmetry?
Dec 12th, 2006, 2:33am

I read a line in Gray & Meyer that the MOSFET is not actually symmetrical in practice.  Does anyone know why?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: MOSFET Symmetry?
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2006, 6:02am

You might need to provide a little more context.  For example, was G&M saying that actual devices won't be completely symmetric because of their environment?  (well proximity effect, for example)  Or even more basic, the source and drain areas might not be exactly equal in the real layout, because of fingers or diffusion sharing.

Of course, there are also devices that aren't meant to be symmetric, such as some LD- or HV-MOS devices, as well as those with "drain contact pull-back" for ESD robustness.

But G&M may have been referring to something more subtle, such as slightly different channel implants at the source and drain ends such that the saturation current is different when you flip the device around.  I don't know if that happens in real life (or why), or if I'm just making it up.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2006, 8:02am

They pretty much just said what I said, without offering any explanation.

I don't see how this is even possible, since there is no indication of the source or drain in a layout...so how could source and drain be manufactured differently?  If you make a MOSFET and interchange the source and drain voltages, my understanding is that it should give the same results.

The most likely thing sounds like it could just be due to imperfections in the manufacturing process.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2006, 8:11am

Hi Marc,

There are 2 different contexts where this difference can arise:

1. Most important is in high-voltage devices where the source and drain are designed differently. Typically, the
transistor has a gate which surrounds the source and is itself surrounded by the drain.

2. The ion implantation is done at an angle, which means that the 2 sides of a MOS are not quite symmetrical. This
is to prevent channeling. Now, the problem arises if you treat the right-hand side of transistor 1 as source, and the left
hand side of the other one as drain, and the 2 need to match. Razavi's book on CMOS analog design has some information about
this. I think it is the last chapter on fabrication.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2006, 9:27am

Regarding 2, who controls which side is the source or drain?

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2006, 12:01pm

Hi.

I think you can't choose which terminal is the drain or source of the transistor. Instead you must use layout techniques to prevent or reduce the asymmetry like using pair of transistors gate-aligned or if you are forced to use parallel-gate transistors try to put dummy transistors in both sides of the pair to try ensure the two transistors see the same environment.(Sorry for my English, I'm from Spain and I'm not very used to write in English).

vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2006, 12:40am

Croaker wrote on Dec 14th, 2006, 9:27am:
Regarding 2, who controls which side is the source or drain?

Hi Marc,

As didac points out, there is no inherent definition of source/drain in case 2. Consider that different transistors on the very same die will experience this effect very differently, as there is no way of knowing a priori as to which side the ion implantation is done from. Moreover, depending on the orientation of a transistor, e.g. if it ends up seeing the ion beam parallel or perpendicular to its gate, the effect will also vary.

The only solution is to ensure that the direction of current flow is the same for any 2 transistors that must match. Note that this inherent asymmetry often presents a more severe problem than random mismatch. So, you have to lay out your devices very carefully to prevent this problem by choosing source/drain to lie in the same relative orientation for matching devices.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
mc66

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2007, 3:36am

you know when you layout ,you can dram a perfect symmetry MOS device

but when you manufcture it,it's a diffrent story,we can't align two layer exactly as layout,there misalign between
two diffrent layer,so in silicon,there is no really symmetry MOS

eg: In layout the space of cont to poly is same in both S/D,but in silicon,poly align to active,ct align to poly,and
     misalign exist.so there are different space of cont to poly in S/D.

the design rule for guide layout take accout how much misalign of two layer and the cd variation of each layer.

View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2007, 2:51am

Recently as I was reviewing "The art of Analog layout" I found a reference to angle ion implantation(which causes asymmetry in MOS drain and source). It explains from a physics point of view so I need to review it carefully. The article its:"Ion Implantation in Semiconductors-Part I
Range Distribution Theory and Experiments",James F.Gibbons. It can be found at the IEEE ieexplore webpage.

Hope it helps

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.