The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 1:57am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IIP3 simulation (Read 701 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

IIP3 simulation
Jan 08th, 2007, 1:06am

Hi all,

i'm trying to simulate the IIP3 of my LNA and i found what appears to be a problem with the simulator. I'm using cadence spectrerf. I've tried 2 methods.

1) PSS and PAC
2) two tones in PSS

I observed the same problem in both instances.

My LNA is a cascode LNA in CMOS. For the cascode transistor, I found the IIP3 to be significantly worse when measured from the drain terminal than the source terminal. However when I try to plot the current from the PSS or PAC simulation there doesn't seem to be a difference between the drain and source terminal.

The only possible explanation is that the load is extremely non-linear. The voltage waveform appears to follow the same shape as the current waveform however.

Here are two pictures of the simulation results. The first is the plots of the 1st and 3rd harmonics from the drain and source terminal. The second is the IIP3 from the same terminals. The third order harmonic is clearly significantly worse in the IIP3 simulation when measured from the drain terminal. Has anyone encountered a similar problem or is it likely that my load is really causing this problem. I've used a PMOS load with CMFB.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ACWWong
Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: IIP3 simulation
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2007, 3:10am

My thoughts are:
The cascode source is low impedance... so voltage swing is low and so distortion effects are low. The current is source and drain are largely the same as expected.
The cascode drain is terminated by a load impedance, in your case PMOS with CMFB... you say the voltage waveforms (you can access the time_domain wavforms in pss to see the pss solution) don't look distorted at the drain ?? Is the first order slope even correct (ie gain)? Was your CMFB designed to handle the volatge swings you are subjecting it to ?
Anyway you can simply remove the PMOS/CMFB loading and replace with resistors (you can artifically increase supply to ensure you get the correct DC drop, and enough headroom for voltage swings up and down upto the signal levels of interest) and check again.
cheers
aw

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: IIP3 simulation
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2007, 6:09pm

thanks aw,

I'll keep looking into it but i guess it really is a problem with the PMOS loads.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.