The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 4:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sidebands and frequencies for Jittercalculation (Read 3782 times)
JitterGeorge

sidebands and frequencies for Jittercalculation
Feb 16th, 2007, 5:47am

Dear all,

I want to calculate the jitter of a kind of Delay Locked Loop (DLL). The design is driven by a 5MHz clock and is locked after about 7 us (tstab=20us for some safety). So, after reading some papers, I assume, that I have to set the Frequency Range in pnoise (and also within the Jee-Dialog) from about 1Hz to 2.5MHz. Is this assumption correct?

In some cadence-Handbook i read that the default number of sidebands is about 7. This number should be increased, until the calculated Jittervalues get constant. And here my problems begin:
I first set the sidebands in pnoise and the harmonics in pss to the same value. But than the Jittervalues are nearly chaotic within a range from 7 to 300 sidebands (=harmonics). I got the hint, that the harmonics influence the maxtimesteps and by this the accuracy of the whole design. So I set them to a fixed value of 150 and only vary the number of sidebands. Now the Jitter looks a bit like it could be assymptotic but a small positive gradient is left. So I have no idea of how to determine the jitter.

I would be thankful for every hint on this.

Greetings,
JitterGeorge

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: sidebands and frequencies for Jittercalculatio
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2007, 6:47am

I recommend that you read the section on sidebands in the paper on simulating SC-filters with SpectreRF, which can be found at www.designers-guide.org/Analysis.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
JitterGeorge

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2007, 1:58am

Thank you.
This paper gave me a very good insight into the theory.
The calculated jittervalues now seem to be suitable and nearly stable, after i calculated the desired sidebands to be nearly 1k.

So nice greetings till my next question  ;)

JitterGeorge

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2007, 2:42am

Dear George,

just out of curiosity: what was the impact on your simulation time?
Is the simulation time still acceptable to allow corner analysis?

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
JitterGeorge

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2007, 6:53am

This depends on how much time you have  ;)

For 1k sidebands our sim-machine took about 9h. So for 8 corners you will need some time.
But I did some simulations with less sidebands and as it is written in Ken's Paper the error is quiet low even for only 100 sidebands (about 3%). So you will save 8 hours wich can be used for the corners.

Greetings,
George

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.