The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 1:28am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need Book Recommendation for High-Speed Comms (Read 11057 times)
Croaker

Need Book Recommendation for High-Speed Comms
Feb 23rd, 2007, 9:29pm

Hello, can anyone recommend books that cover high-speed wired communications links from the electronics perspective?  For instance, ones that explain how to design DSL, Ethernet, or USB transceivers?  Also, any good high-level book that explains how these systems work (protocols, network configurations, system issues) would be helpful.  

Thanks!  :)

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Need Book Recommendation for High-Speed Comms
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2007, 10:53pm

Hi,

I have no idea about DSL. However, ethernet Phy and USB Phy are something that transmit and receive data on baseband directly. Behzad Razavi edited one paper collection named Monolithic Phase-Locked Loops and Clock Recovery Circuits: Theory and Design. I think it may helpful.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2007, 6:58am

Yawei, thanks for the tip!  That paper collection sounds like it's one piece of the puzzle.  If there is any book that puts all the know-how together, that is really what I'm looking for.  The book/paper would guide a novice through the system and blocks of a transceiver for say, Ethernet.  Maybe I need a combo of books and papers...that's fine too.

View Profile   IP Logged
Paul
Community Fellow

Switzerland
Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2007, 9:46am

Croaker,

If you think about the circuit aspects of Ethernet optical links, Razavi's book "Design of Integrated Circuits for Optical Communications" (see Book section on this website) may be a good companion and its clock recovery section may be helpful for electrical serial links too. On purely electrical links, I am not aware of any books on circuit design.

Please let us know if you find something interesting.

Paul

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2007, 4:36pm

Hi Paul, thanks for the tip!  :)

Actually, this one looks interesting and it's very new:

Electromagnetics for High-Speed Analog and Digital Communication Circuits (Hardcover)
by Ali M. Niknejad (Author)

View Profile   IP Logged
joel
Community Member

Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:19pm

If you're interested in circuit & channel electrical design and analysis, you might try "CMOS Current-Mode Circuits for Data Communications", Fei Yuan, Springer 2007.  As far as I'm able to understand it, this book contains a lot of useful knowledge.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2007, 11:33am

Suggest:

1. Get the standards/specifications for each of the systems (IEEE 802.3 is ethernet IIRC)
2. Find the on line working group (They exist)
3. Get specs on parts that are out there that are used for the comm method.

Its called doing research.

:)

Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
email_gz

gaoz.mail@gmail.com
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2007, 1:07am

Digital Systems Engineering  by W J .DALLY  & J W. POULTON

View Profile email_gz email_gz   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2007, 8:16pm

Thanks everyone!  I have been super-busy lately but haven't stopped checking in from time-to-time!

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2007, 8:23am

A fantasitc book for high-speed comms from a slightly more system level is "Digital Baseband Transmission and Recording" by J.W.M. Bergmans.  It goes through everything from channel coding and adaptive equalization to timing recovery.  A great read.  It's worth a trip to the library for.  When I was working on DSL transceivers and voiceband modems it was a great reference.  I also highly recommend all of Razavi's books, even the one on data converters.  His books are the best I've read for an easy intro to a subject, then you can pour throught the references for details.

Loose-electron suggested going through the standards.  That will be very helpful once you have a base of knowledge.  Before you understand what the heck an analog DFE is, though, it may not do much for you.

Good luck Croaker,

Carl

View Profile   IP Logged
kanan

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2008, 3:07am

Hello,
I am looking to read up on CDRs and stuff and I am absolutely unable to find some sort of a book which will teach me that.
I saw the note about this book by J.W.M. Bergmans. Will this do for CDRs as well? Is the treatment exhaustive?
Is there any other book that you'd like to suggest purely for CDRs

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2008, 7:27pm

Hi Kanan,

Please take a look at Monolithic Phase-Locked Loops and Clock Recovery Circuits: Theory and Design by Behzad Razavi. Although it is a little old collection, actually some great papers/designs are reprinted in that collection.

Another collection edited by Razavi Phase-Locking in High-Performance Systems: From Devices to Architectures includes some papers after 1996. The part VII of that collection is on clock and data recovery.

BG
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.