The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Oct 18th, 2024, 12:44pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stability of SC CMFB (Read 7527 times)
analog2000

Stability of SC CMFB
May 25th, 2007, 12:24pm

Hi,
I am designing a sc cmfb for a differential sc integrator. Would anyone tell me on how to simulate the stability of a sc cmfb circuit ? I have simulated the stability of continous time cmfb circuit with stb analysis
Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: Stability of SC CMFB
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2007, 12:25am

Hi,

similar to a continuous-time CMFB: break the loop and check the open-loop behavior.

I can recommend you an excellent paper about SC-CMFB:

Ojas Choksi and L.Richard Carley, Analysis of Switched-Capacitor Common-Mode
Feedback Circuit, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, 2003.

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2007, 1:26am

If you have a recent version of SpectreRF, you can use pstb analysis. If you have an older version of SpectreRF which does not have pstb analysis, take a look at http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1171399171.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
analog2000

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2007, 3:37pm

Hi,
Thanks for the responses.

1) I don't have pstb available in the version of spectreRF that I am using

2) When I break the loop at a certain point in time, using "prevoppoint" option within the stb analysis. The opamp is not in the correct biased state. The transient sims run just fine and I get predictable response. Any ideas ?
thanks a  lot

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2007, 11:27pm

In most cases, it makes no sense to analyze a switched-capacitor circuit in one of the two states only, because the switching action is necessary for the proper operation of the circuit and both states must be taken into account. You must either use some kind of pss analysis (pstb or pac), transient simulation (apply some disturbing signal to the loop and watch the response) or a model that combines both states (e.g. a state-space averaged model).

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2007, 12:25am

As far as I understand SC-CMFB circuits, a larger capacitance usually increases the return ratio and consequently decreases
the phase margin of the CMFB.

You are therefore mainly interested in the phase where both capacitors are connected to the amplifier (but I agree with Frank
that it never harms to check both phases in a SC circuit).

To get the right operating point first run a transient analysis and use the writefinal option so that it can be recalled to act as a nodeset
for a later DC analysis. Then cut the loop, provide an input signal and run an AC analysis with the prevoppoint option set to yes.

Cheers, Thomas

View Profile   IP Logged
analog2000

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2007, 2:56pm

Hi,
1) The prevoppoint is not working for me  ? I have filed a request with cadence so that they can take a look at it. The transient end point does not match with the ac analysis operating point, when I had prevoppoint set to yes ? Any ideas

2) I got upgraded, so that I now have pstb available. When I tried to run it, it gave bogus results. My gain margin was >0dB but my phase margin was around 0 degrees even though my transient response i.e. the step response is just fine.  Any special techniques that I need to setup for pstb analysis ?
thanks
analog20000

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.