The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 17th, 2024, 7:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
system layout - isolation (Read 117 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

system layout - isolation
Jun 06th, 2007, 7:25am

Hi all,

I'm trying to do a layout for a transceiver, and i'm trying to decide how much isolation i need. Basically I'm thinking of individually isolating each block with P-sub contacts (I don't have deep n-well). Is there any reason not to do this apart from the extra routing, and the area requirement? I suspect capacitive coupling to such isolation blocks can be minimized...

Also does anyone have any tips they would like to share on placement of blocks such as VCO, LNA, PA, and IF amps and IF filters?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
SRF Tech
Community Member

Arizona
Re: system layout - isolation
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2007, 6:04pm

Hi Aaron,

A few considerations I have learned and adapted when considering noise propagation in common substrate technologies.

1.  High Frequency noise likes low inductive paths.
    This means that high frequency noise does not want to travel long distances from the sourcing power domins to sinking ground domains.  Keep the loops small by designing well coupled power and ground domains.  By this, I do not mean merely including lots of decap, but by routing paired power and ground planes/busses as close together as possible.  By placing paired power and ground pads & pins adjacent to each other when possible.  This general coupling will help keep electromagnetic fields to a minimum and high frequency noise currents will be loathe to travel too far from these coupled paths because the inductance will start to present a very large impedance.  Even in an IC substrate, electric fields can remain tighly coupled to their respective domains, if power and ground domains are very tighly coupled.  This is however a frequency dependent tactic.

2.  It is much easier to control noise at the source than it is to capture it at the destination.
    Figure out which blocks you expect will generate the most substrate noise and focus on using the P+ tap/Guardring technique on those blocks.  Determine the noisy devices and nodes and guardring those as best as possible.  Also it is not sufficient to guardring the whole block, you need to guarding the devices as close to the diffusions as possible.  For many of the noisy devices, turn the body contacts in guardrings.

3.  Practicle use of guardrings
  So many people screw up guardings, so avoid improper guarding connectivity. Example, I have seen guardrings 5 um wide with many rows of contacts all strapped in metal 1.  Then in one far corner of the whole guardring, two small vias are placed and a long 1 um wide, 100's of ums long, Metal 2 route is run to the pad connected to the guardring.  That metal 2 route alone presented >50 ohms of resistance, effectively eliminating the guardring.  If you really want the guarding to present a very low impedance, so it can easily pick up noise carriers, for heavens sake strap that ring HARD to the appropriate power domain!!!  Keep the whole path to the lowest resistance/impedance possible.

There are many other tips and techniques that can be used but I think these are good starters, at least from a very generic perspective.

Stephen
www.srftechnologies.com

« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2007, 10:54pm by SRF Tech »  

Excellence in ESD and IO Design
www.srftechnologies.com
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: system layout - isolation
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2007, 6:48pm

Hi Stephen,

thanks so much for the advice

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.