The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 12th, 2024, 5:44am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VHDL-AMS + Spice (Read 7349 times)
adauto6

VHDL-AMS + Spice
Aug 13th, 2007, 5:26am

I'm trying to do ac analysis using VHDL-AMS + Spice with Eldo and ADMS. I already put the AC Stimulus but the simulator give me the error:
"
# #E Error: Nul parameter in function LOG()
# Occurred at frequency 1000 Hz
"

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: VHDL-AMS + Spice
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2007, 8:57am

Have you checked your VHDL-AMS model for proper use of the LOG() function?  (Does it use the function?  Can you print the value of the argument?)

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
adauto6

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2007, 11:57am

I use the function exp() twice but their don't appear to be the problem because the DC analysis  use the same function with the same argument and don't return the any error like it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2007, 8:10am

And you don't use log() or log10() anywhere in your VHDL-AMS?

Does your simulator compute some gain automatically?  Did you define an output signal, so maybe it's trying to compute db and the input never makes it to the output?  Vdb(out) = 20 * LOG(V(out) / (input ac magnitude)) perhaps?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
adauto6

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2007, 11:08am

I'm using the function log ...but the DC and Tran simulation don't return Error ...so the argument into the log function is the problem only when i run the AC analysis.

Do i have to put one model to do the AC analysis and other to do the DC e TRAN analysis ??
doing it with the condition:
if domain = quiescent_domain or domain= time_domain use
else
.... AC model
end use;

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 16th, 2007, 11:29am

adauto6 wrote on Aug 16th, 2007, 11:08am:
Do i have to put one model to do the AC analysis and other to do the DC e TRAN analysis ??

I'm not very familiar with VHDL-AMS, but I strongly discourage people from doing that sort of hackery when writing Verilog-AMS models.  The simulator should do the linearization of the model for use in ac analysis, in order to ensure consistent ac and transient results.

adauto6

Reply #6 - Aug 16th, 2007, 11:46am

There are any problem running AC analysis with log function ??

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2007, 4:48am

adauto6 wrote on Aug 16th, 2007, 11:46am:
There are any problem running AC analysis with log function ??

Shouldn't be.  log has a well-defined derivative everywhere it has a value (x>0).  Have you tried putting log() in a simpler model?

adauto6

Reply #8 - Aug 17th, 2007, 10:38am

No ... but when a delete all log function on my code ..and inside my log function there aren't null parameter ... i know that because my DC analysis runs very well. ..

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.