The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 2nd, 2024, 9:58am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Varactor simulation (Read 1774 times)
Visjnoe

Varactor simulation
Sep 14th, 2007, 6:18am

Dear all,

I have a simulation set-up problem when it comes to simulating a varactor (actually 2) of which I want to determine the capacitance versus the tune voltage using following SPICE setup:

Code:
Xvar1 tune test nvar_rf finger=nf w=wvar l=lvar
Xvar2 tune vss  nvar_rf finger=nf w=wvar l=lvar

Vtune tune vss dc 'vtune'

Itest test vss dc 0 ac 1

.ac dec 100 100 100e6 sweep vtune -0.9 0.9 0.1

The problem is that the Vtune source acts as a short to ground during an AC analysis. Therefore, my setup returns the effective capacitance C of 1 varactor instead of the correct C/2.

I can solve this problem by inserting a 1GOhm resistor between the vtune source and the controlling node of the varactors. I was wondering if there is another approach to tackle this (setup) problem?

Kind Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
monte78

Re: Varactor simulation
Reply #1 - Sep 14th, 2007, 8:51am

Visjnoe wrote on Sep 14th, 2007, 6:18am:
Dear all,

I have a simulation set-up problem when it comes to simulating a varactor (actually 2) of which I want to determine the capacitance versus the tune voltage using following SPICE setup:

Code:
Xvar1 tune test nvar_rf finger=nf w=wvar l=lvar
Xvar2 tune vss  nvar_rf finger=nf w=wvar l=lvar

Vtune tune vss dc 'vtune'

Itest test vss dc 0 ac 1

.ac dec 100 100 100e6 sweep vtune -0.9 0.9 0.1

The problem is that the Vtune source acts as a short to ground during an AC analysis. Therefore, my setup returns the effective capacitance C of 1 varactor instead of the correct C/2.

I can solve this problem by inserting a 1GOhm resistor between the vtune source and the controlling node of the varactors. I was wondering if there is another approach to tackle this (setup) problem?

Kind Regards

Peter

Hello Peter,

I think a better solution to bias a generic circuit and to exclude this effect in in the ac analysis is to put a large inductance instead of the 1GOhm resistance (1T Henry for example...). By this way the dc bias will be correct while during ac analysis the inductor can be considered as an open circuit.

Bye
Monte

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.