The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 4:28pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LNA Design with Cadence (Read 257 times)
RadioFreeq

LNA Design with Cadence
Dec 08th, 2007, 12:38pm

In my thesis (that I just began), I must design a chip wich contains a Filter + LNA. I´m new to Cadence (also to LNA) . After 1 Week of reading Tutorials, I have some Questions for experts.
lets begin with this Questions:
1- there are many possible simulations in Cadence, so which I will probably need exactly for LNA
2- is a Simulation with Spectre sufficient or first after simulating a Layout you can make solid conclusions

thank you!

Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.
View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Re: LNA Design with Cadence
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2007, 1:02pm

Hi,
1)You will need: DC(for operating points,biasings...),AC(voltage gain),PSS(for CP1dB,IIP3-PSS+PAC or QPSS-),noise(for NF), SP(input matching,stability,also can be used for transducer gain,NF...), and I don't know if I forgot anything.
2)My experience say that if the models of the library are good silicon and a full simulation of the extracted circuit with parasitics after the layout match pretty well.
PS:check http://www.cadence.co.in/community/virtuoso/resources/SpectreRF_LNA533AN.pdf as reference.
Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
RadioFreeq

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2007, 1:23pm

thanks for the link.

I´m working in a company which has good modles surely.. there is a multichip package with 1 Filter and 1 LNA in it, and they are matched with external passives. Filter output is matched to 50 Ohm and so the input for LNA and the Chip has NF: 1.9 and Gain>19dB.... So my job is to change the Filter and the LNA and match them in a way (not 50 OHM) to have the best performance (NF, GAIN, Linearity, Consumption..) without much external elements. My supervisor says, I must simulate, play with the different configurations...

How can you estimate the complexity of this task, and what do you think are the appropriate tools (if cadence is essential or just ADS)?

Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.
View Profile   IP Logged
didac

There's a million
ways to see the
things in life

manresa,spain
Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2007, 1:35pm

Hi,
I think that both ADS and Cadence are suitable for this job, although for what I understand you have a System in Package so maybe ADS it's a little bit more suitable for the transmission line modelling between filter and LNA, depending on the frequency you should be able to eliminate completely external components using transmission lines for the matching network. I think that in your case I will start plotting the NF,stability and gain circles of the LNA and find the trade-off between them, this can be done with S-parameters only, for the linearity you need the LNA spice model(that can be used in ADS and Cadence).
Hope it helps,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jess Chen
Community Fellow

California Bay Area
Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2007, 3:33pm

RadioFreeq,

Cool username and picture. I love it!!

-Jess

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.