The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 11:51am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MOS-capacitance of NMOS/PMOS (Read 8641 times)
Berti
Community Fellow

MOS-capacitance of NMOS/PMOS
Feb 19th, 2008, 7:57am

Hi all,

I recently simulated a MOS capacitor. This is shown in the Figure for NMOS and PMOS, when sweeping
the voltage over the capacitor. However, I observed that the maximum capacitance in inversion is different
for NMOS and PMOS (PMOS on the left side, NMOS on the right side of the plot).

To me it is not clear why this is the case.
Does anybode have an explanation for that?

Regars

mos_fig.png
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: MOS-capacitance of NMOS/PMOS
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2008, 11:08pm

Hi Berti

Could you post a snapshot of your setup?

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2008, 11:59pm

Sure, the voltage source is sweeped from -vdd to +vdd and the capacitance measured accordingly.
I also replaced the NMOS by a PMOS. Therefore inversion happens for -vin for PMOS and +vin for NMOS,
considering the figure from the first post.

mos_schematic.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:43am

I would think the poly gate and substrate doping levels are going to be different.  Particularly on the poly gate, there's a poly depletion effect that could change the effective "d" in the eps A / d formula for capacitance.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2008, 10:13pm

Thanx Geoffrey, sounds reasonable.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2008, 2:59am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:43am:
I would think the poly gate and substrate doping levels are going to be different.  Particularly on the poly gate, there's a poly depletion effect that could change the effective "d" in the eps A / d formula for capacitance.

Hi Geoffrey,

Would this also lead to the "buried channel" effect in 1/f noise? The channel must be significantly below the surface
to cause a visible change in "d". I would imagine that 1/f noise drops a lot. What do you think?

Berti: Does your PMOS have much less noise in output current for a given DC current at a given size compared to the NMOS?

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2008, 4:34am

vivkr wrote on Feb 25th, 2008, 2:59am:
Would this also lead to the "buried channel" effect in 1/f noise? The channel must be significantly below the surface
to cause a visible change in "d". I would imagine that 1/f noise drops a lot. What do you think?

I have heard that PMOS devices have lower 1/f because of the buried channel.  Probably the peak concentration of the NWELL channel implant for the PMOS is below the surface (I don't have a sense for how far), whereas the NMOS channel is the P substrate and is evenly spread (except for pocket implants?).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2008, 6:41am

Hi Vivek,

NMOS and PMOS show very similar flicker-noise. That's also agrees to measurement
results from publications about 1/f-noise using a 130nm technolgy.

Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.