The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 6:42am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The NPN Tr in 0.5um CMOS process (Read 3148 times)
dandelion
Community Member

The NPN Tr in 0.5um CMOS process
Apr 07th, 2008, 8:23pm

Hi,
I am deisgning an block which is PECl output. I found my process provide an NPN Tr and so I intend to use it to implement the PECL level. The NPN Tr is N+/P/NWELL topology. The base is located in the NWELL.

I communicated with the foundr, they said although this device is availble, it is not tested ever, so they can not guarantee if it have any risks. They said the beta of this device is 20 or so.

Would you pls. give any advice in using this device? Any risks ? What about its permance in mass production?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: The NPN Tr in 0.5um CMOS process
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2008, 12:16pm

A little confusion on what you have there, but as a general rule, if you can avoid using unsupported and untested devices in a process, thats a very good thing.

The bipolar structures in CMOS are often used for designing bandgaps but thtere the frequency response and beta of the device are not critical.

- Jerry

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: The NPN Tr in 0.5um CMOS process
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2008, 6:37am

Risks would be: if the device completely fails to act as a transistor, the foundry will still make you pay for the wafers because it's not a supported device.

You might want to have a look at the masks that make it up and how they might go bad.  Eg, what happens if the N+ implant goes too deep and shorts out the NPN: will this also cause a supported device to fail?  In this case, I think you wouldn't have to pay for the wafers.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.