The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 6th, 2024, 8:50am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
impact on current with change in metal thickness? (Read 5309 times)
sirous black

impact on current with change in metal thickness?
Apr 25th, 2008, 5:31am

On changing a given metal from 2XTM to 1XTM, what is the impact on current? I understand that there is a change in resistance, and hence overall IR drop, but current benig a surface phenomena wouldnt be affected.

Correct me if my assumption is wrong.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: impact on current with change in metal thickne
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2008, 4:10pm

please explain with more detail what you are looking for

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
CMOSSolutions

Re: impact on current with change in metal thickne
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2008, 9:25am

Is this a large mixed signal SOC? For large designs the IR drop in power distribution is pretty much DC to daylight, so thinner metal will affect the IR drop. Also check the current density and EM limits for your specific process. Hints about the type of design, frequency and process info would help.

View Profile   IP Logged
Maks
Community Member

San Jose
Re: impact on current with change in metal thickness?
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2010, 12:26pm

sirous black wrote on Apr 25th, 2008, 5:31am:
On changing a given metal from 2XTM to 1XTM, what is the impact on current? I understand that there is a change in resistance, and hence overall IR drop, but current benig a surface phenomena wouldnt be affected.

Correct me if my assumption is wrong.

Depending on the design of the power FET (metal resistivities, device resistance, layout shapes, metal strapping, etc.) changing metal thickness or resistance may or may not affect the total resistance and the pattern of the current flow. One needs to run simulations of the device + metals+ vias + wirebonds to understand the impact of an individual metal layer resistivity on the total Rdson value. See attached plot for an example of such simulations - the plot shows the current density distribution in the top metal layer of a three-metal-layer power MOSEFT design.

Current_density_in_power_transistor_top_metal_layer.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.