The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 20th, 2024, 3:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Long channel effects? (Read 4094 times)
Godfrey

Long channel effects?
Jul 29th, 2008, 2:09pm

I have a simple latch circuit (back to back inverters) buffering an analog input which is showing some odd behaviour on silicon. The feedback inverter is very weak and uses two long devices with W=2um and L=10um. The feedback inverter is only present to prevent leakage.

The circuit operates at low voltage (<1.5V) and from observations it seems that the feedback inverter is much stronger on silicon than shown when simulated.

Are there modelling errors due perhaps to some long channel effects for devices with very low W/L ratios?

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Long channel effects?
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2008, 11:40pm

While the modelling of very narrow and long devices may not be quite accurate, I would be surprised if a 2/10 device is not modelled correctly. The W is not really minimum there. I assume you are not using a 2 um technology Smiley The aspect ratio is also not so bad.

If you want to get a good idea about the W, L values for which you have a good model, just look at your process doc. Usually, there are some notes about the transistor dimensions used in model parameter extraction. This is done for several different sizes, and the results are interpolated to arbitrary size devices.

Did you simulate your circuit across all reasonable corners and with the realistic input voltages?

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Godfrey

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2008, 5:53am

I've resimulated it under all kinds of nasty conditions but the circuit behaves itself every time. The input waveform is a digital signal passed through an RC delay, so just a charging curve. I also checked the 'R' and also the 'C' models and saw no errors.

From silicon measurements, it looks like I have a factor of ~2 coming from somewhere. Maybe the Si has not been fab'd properly, I've checked the wafer test data once already, maybe I need another look.

View Profile   IP Logged
Godfrey

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2008, 8:24am

Theory #2 is that the latch inverter uses two transistors close to minimum size in the forward path and very long in the feedback path. So although this circuit simulates fine, on siicon, the two minimum transistors would be very susceptible to process variation and may be much weaker than expected (so the feedback inverter is overloading the output net).

Since the circuit is in the corner of the die, perhaps these very small transistors are badly registered.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.