The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 10:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
different jitter results from transient to pss+pnoise analysis (Read 4426 times)
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
different jitter results from transient to pss+pnoise analysis
Aug 01st, 2008, 2:43am

I want to verify obtained jitter results from a PSS+pnoise analysis with a transient simulation to be sure the obtained values are correct.

1) I have a SCL divide-by-2 circuit driven with a 4GHz signal (o/p is at 2GHz). I do a PSS and pnoise analysis with frequency range from 1k to f_out with a beat frequency of f_out. I use the pnoise jitter plot form to calculate the jitter Jee over a range from 1k to f_out/2. The obtained Jee is approx. 350fs.
(3 harmonics, 30 sidebands, tstab 20ns)

2) I run a transient simulation and write all periods of the output clock to a file and import it to matlab.  I use the matlab function J=std(periods); to obtain the absolute jitter. J=0.13fs.

Q1) Why are the values so different? I was expecting similar results?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: different jitter results from transient to pss+pnoise analysis
Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2008, 3:24am

How many periods did you write to your output file?
Are you sure that your simulator correctly implements the noise?
When using spectre you can verify this by setting transient noise to another multiplicator or simply by changing the simulation temperature. Anyway, the difference (if calculated correctly) is too much ...

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2008, 6:03am

Thanks for the prompt reply Stefan.

I simulated over 5000 periods. I am running a longer simulation just now to see if it makes a difference. In the transient simulation I did not have the transient noise option enabled.

1) Should I do so? If so, the pss+pnoise analysis does not introduce random noise, does it?

At the moment I only have an RCL network on the power supply and all resistors have noise as well.

2) In theory the results should be pretty much identical, should they not?

Thanks,

View Profile   IP Logged
trond

Glasgow, Scotland
Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:15am

Using the noise option in the transient simulation does increase the jitter. For example. the jitter calculated in Matlab from the obtained periods is approx. 230fs.
As mentioned earlier the pss+pnoise gave 350fs as Jee [1k..f_out/2].

1) But I am still not certain why the two values are different, and more importantly, which value is the correct one.

Thanks,
Trond

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.