The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 9:49pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PSS Error - V(Out) is too small to reliably detect the period of the oscillator (Read 2198 times)
tkhan

PSS Error - V(Out) is too small to reliably detect the period of the oscillator
Oct 02nd, 2008, 10:00am

Hi, I have recently started getting this error when running PSS:

"V(out) is too small to reliably detect the period of the
oscillator. This may be because nodes with insignificant signal levels
were chosen, or it may be because the oscillator was never properly
started."

I can resolve it by changing the initial guess of the fundamental frequency (even by 1MHz) but I don't understand why? There is an initial condition on this node to start the oscillation and transient starts ok.  Any insight would be appreciated as I am not too familiar with how the PSS simulator actually works...

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: PSS Error - V(Out) is too small to reliably detect the period of the oscillator
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 3:24pm

It may be that the oscillation dies out - if you ran a long enough transient. Or it may be that it really isn't starting up properly.

Did you try saving the initial transient (there's a checkbox on the PSS form for this) and taking a look at how it is behaving during the initial transient? Or what happens if you run a very long transient - does it die out?

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.