The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 6:01am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
nonlinearity of poly-poly or MIM caps (Read 3929 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

nonlinearity of poly-poly or MIM caps
Oct 13th, 2008, 11:03pm

Hi,

There is a small nonlinear component even in linear caps such as poly-poly or metal-metal, which is important when designing very precise analog circuitry. Typically, the nonlinearity is much less than 100 ppm/V.

Intuitively, I would expect the nonlinearity to be quadratic, i.e. C(V) = C0 + C2(V^2), as I would imagine that the polarity of the applied voltage has no (or very little) influence on the nonlinearity, and only the magnitude matters. However, I often see a linear term here, and

C(V) = C0 + C1(V) + C2(V^2)

The linear term appears to be not insignificant. Why would there be a linear term at all?

Regards,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Re: nonlinearity of poly-poly or MIM caps
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2008, 1:32am

I assume that the linear term is steeming from a space charge effect similar to a MOS cap. Typical linear caps in submicron are obtained by canceling two opposite nonlinear terms. It could also be a extraction artifact where the linear term was not set to zero in a more general extraction routine.

http://www.ece.nus.edu.sg/stfpage/elelimf/pub(updated_20Nov2004)/Kim%20VLSI%2004...

View Profile   IP Logged
HdrChopper
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2008, 7:14pm

Hi Vivek,

I'm just guessing, but since usually the parasitics on the cap bottom plate is different from the one on the upper plate  I would tend to think the sign  of the applied voltage might be important. If that was the case then it makes some sense to have a non-insignificant linear term in the capacitor model as a function of the applied voltage...

Regards
Tosei

Keep it simple
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2008, 10:57pm

Thanks to everyone for the very useful answers and references. Now things seem a bit clearer.

Regards,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.