The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 11th, 2024, 12:39am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's the relation between dBc/Hz and dBc in E5052A? (Read 5937 times)
Ryan Cheung

What's the relation between dBc/Hz and dBc in E5052A?
Nov 27th, 2008, 10:34pm

Hi everyone,

When measure the spurs of a PLL using E5052A, there are 2 units could be selected for spur (dBc and dBc/Hz) in phase noise measurement. And if we use dBc as the spur level unit, we found it is much closed to the spectrum plot measured by E5052A. What's the difference between them?

Thanks,
Ryan

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: What's the relation between dBc/Hz and dBc in E5052A?
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2008, 10:54pm

Ryan Cheung wrote on Nov 27th, 2008, 10:34pm:
When measure the spurs of a PLL using E5052A, there are 2 units could be selected for spur (dBc and dBc/Hz) in phase noise measurement. And if we use dBc as the spur level unit, we found it is much closed to the spectrum plot measured by E5052A. What's the difference between them?

If you mean Agilent Signal Source Analyzer, I recommend you to post to Agilent Discussion Forum.

Agilent Signal Analyzer (RF & Microwave) Forum
http://forums.tm.agilent.com/phpBB2/index.php?c=15

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
Ryan Cheung

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2008, 6:34am

thanks! Cheesy

View Profile   IP Logged
smlogan
Community Member

Boston, MA
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2009, 1:07pm

Ryan Cheung wrote on Nov 27th, 2008, 10:34pm:
Hi everyone,

Thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I have the predecessor to the 5052A, a 4352. In that instrument, it would report integrated noise in "dBc". Hence, my guess is it is reporting either the SSB value of the spur in dBc/Hz or the integrated value of the spur related to the carrier as dBc.

Just my guess...
Shawn

Shawn
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.