The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 19th, 2024, 2:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
reference buffer specs. for ADC ? (Read 1561 times)
Ajay

Asia
reference buffer specs. for ADC ?
Dec 06th, 2008, 6:26am

I have a technical question:
I need to design a reference buffer for a successive approximation ADC. This ADC uses a capacitive DAC array. What is the procedure to determine the reference buffer specifications such as gain , bandwidth, gain margin etc. ??
Is there a document outlining this  or can you suggest any set of simulations to determine the above requirements ?
I will greatly appreciate your kind response.

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Re: reference buffer specs. for ADC ?
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2008, 1:41pm

The settling time of the reference will be the most important. The switches rearanging the caps would be not be limiting the settling time. Design your reference buffer with a close to Q=sqrt(0.5) damping. The loop bandwidth "including" the approximation load cap define the settling time. If the supply of the buffer have some 10nH inductance to outside and some 100pF internal buffering, your first sims should include them. So he should provide good rejection.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.