The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 3:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
INL - integral non-linearity. what is the real definition? [DACs] (Read 2726 times)
mowiehowie

INL - integral non-linearity. what is the real definition? [DACs]
Mar 02nd, 2009, 7:39am

Hello everyone, I've got a simple question.

I am studying about DACs, actually I am working at one. So every book I get brings the same definition about INL, - "the difference between the actual output value and a straight line between the first and last point, or the best-fit line (this one is rarely used at the books), after gain and offset errors have been removed"

but on practical examples, they always just make the difference between the ideal values and actual values outputs, after removing offset and gain errors. i can't see how it fits the definitions above.

could anyone please give me a light?

View Profile   IP Logged
mowiehowie

Re: INL - integral non-linearity. what is the real definition? [DACs]
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2009, 7:46am

ok, its like.. after removing the gain error and the offset error the first and last points will be very close to the ideal output points, so the line between the first and the last point is the ideal line... but why is that true only for the first and last points, i mean.. i can see in my little experience with this dac is that after removing gain and offset errors the first and last point gets very close to the ideal (like 0.002 LSB difference), but its not true for every point... its not making sense to me.

View Profile   IP Logged
mowiehowie

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2009, 7:48am

i guess it all comes down to the definition of gain and offset that are used.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2009, 7:50pm

mowiehowie,

The defintion is true. What is you said "one practical example"?
Quote:
but on practical examples, they always just make the difference between the ideal values and actual values outputs, after removing offset and gain errors. i can't see how it fits the definitions above.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.