The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 5th, 2024, 12:40pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
comparator delay and impedance calibration (Read 2321 times)
Tofu

comparator delay and impedance calibration
Apr 15th, 2009, 2:07pm

Hello:

I am designing a continuous time comparator based on single-end folded cascode amplifier. The comparator could not reach the delay spec. Here are my questions:

- Apart from slewing,  is the output impedance of the folded cascode the only factor that contributes to the delay (output cap is very small)? are there any other factors that can potentially make it slower?

- I tried to calibrate the output impedance of the folded cascode (biased in common mode) by connecting its output to a vsource with ac mag=1 and check the low freq current. This calibrated low freq impedance (actually Rout) is several times lower than the one obtained via standard textbook calculation (based on Gds etc). Did I do something wrong here?

any help is highly appreciated!

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: comparator delay and impedance calibration
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2009, 9:14am

Tofu,
Tofu wrote on Apr 15th, 2009, 2:07pm:
- Apart from slewing,  is the output impedance of the folded cascode the only factor that contributes to the delay (output cap is very small)?
I'd say it's bandwidth, not impedance. Also: (very) small diff. input signal = (very) small diff. current = slow, even for small load cap.
Quote:
are there any other factors that can potentially make it slower?
A few Farad of cap should do it.... (Sorry, coudn't resist. [Added:] Usually, the more details you add to your question the better the answers.)
Quote:
- I tried to calibrate the output impedance of the folded cascode (biased in common mode) by connecting its output to a vsource with ac mag=1 and check the low freq current. This calibrated low freq impedance (actually Rout) is several times lower than the one obtained via standard textbook calculation (based on Gds etc). Did I do something wrong here?
Did you check the DC operating point of your voltage source (idc should be 0)? Why not use a current source?
B.O.E.

View Profile   IP Logged
Tofu

Re: comparator delay and impedance calibration
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2009, 2:09pm

Dear Boe:

Thanks a lot for the hint. I will take a look on my settings.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.