The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 9:13pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Transferred impedence filter with passive mixer (Read 4810 times)
macg84

Transferred impedence filter with passive mixer
May 06th, 2009, 3:21am

Hallo at all,

In attached there is the schematic, the circuit should be a filter where the corner frequency are Flo-Flc and Flo+flc (Flo= frequency of local oscillator, Flc= resonant frequency 1/2*3.1415*(LC)^1/2). This filter doesn't work and i don't know why.

Is there some people that can help me with some  advice?
Thank you very much

schem.png
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: Transferred impedence filter with passive mixer
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2009, 7:22am

What nodes do you consider to be your outputs?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2009, 7:53am

Hi,

A few comments apart from the missing output nodes pointed out by RFICDUDE.

1. Your ideal_balun doesn't seem to be connected properly. I think the center-tap of the output coil should be grounded.

2. I'm not sure but you seem to have you LO signals connected wrongly. One is going from 0 to 3 and the other from 3 to 0. Also one is connected backwards. So overall, one is swinging from 0.4 to 3.4 while the other swings from -2.6 to 0.4. Correct me if i'm wrong there...

3. How is it supposed to work anyway?

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2009, 9:29am

I don't think the center tap connection matters, but it does matter that the RF input appears to be common-mode. Both ports appear to be in phase, so there is no differential signal on either side of the balun.

View Profile   IP Logged
macg84

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2009, 9:49am

Hello,

Tahnks for your attentions. I atteched a new schematic with outputs node. I think but i am not sure that the balun is right, because i look it in the Designer's Guide of Ken Kundert "Measuring S-Parameters of a Differential Mixer" infact at page 3 figure 3 the ideal balun has 2 input and two output, and the center-tap of the input coil is grounded. So I assumed that the central tap of the input coil is inherently grounded.
Do you think it is right?
The vpulse work right, because the switches have to work in alternate way.
I read thet the mixer can have this behavior in a patent.

Screenshot_004.png
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2009, 12:48am

Hi,

if you zoom in to your ideal balun I think you will see something like what I have attached below. The output center-tap is the bottom left pin so i think it should be grounded or at least left open-circuit.

As for the LO signals I still think they are wrong. Try plotting net47 and net50 and see if you get the right signals.

Also, why have you changed your inputs to current sources? I'm still curious about how you expect the filter to work... is it supposed to be a mixer too?

cheers,
Aaron

Ideal_Balun.jpg

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
macg84

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2009, 1:54am

Probably your considerations on balun are correct, thanks. I checked again  the LO signal, but i think that they are corrects. I put a current source, so use a PAC analyses to see what happens to the output current around the interest frequency. Outgoing I put another mixer.
Now try again the simulations, and then I'll tell you the result, if you interested.

Best regards
Mac

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.