The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 5:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to determine the size of MOSFET in the differential PA (Read 4548 times)
andrew_wee

How to determine the size of MOSFET in the differential PA
May 31st, 2009, 8:16am

How to determine the size of MOSFET in the differential PA?
Hand caculation or by computer?
Such as the PA of  WLAN802.11a.
Please help me. Thank you!

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: How to determine the size of MOSFET in the differential PA
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2009, 8:12am

Hi,

I don't really design PAs, but the answer is probably get a good estimate by hand and then verify and modify by computer simulation. Also when you say "the PA of WLAN802.11.a", you seem to imply that there is only one PA used for WLAN802.11a. Your transistor size depends on what kind of PA you are designing too.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
andrew_wee

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:21am

aaron_do wrote on Jun 1st, 2009, 8:12am:
Hi,

I don't really design PAs, but the answer is probably get a good estimate by hand and then verify and modify by computer simulation. Also when you say "the PA of WLAN802.11.a", you seem to imply that there is only one PA used for WLAN802.11a. Your transistor size depends on what kind of PA you are designing too.

cheers,
Aaron

Thank you! i have the same thought. Look forward some constuctive advice!

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2009, 5:13pm

You will start with hand calculations to determine what the peak current requirements are for the output device.

If you assume that there is a matching network, then the peak current requirement of the differential pair will be defined by the peak load current transformed by the matching network. So, if you have a required average power delivered to the load then the peak power will be the average plus the peak to average ratio of the signal (lets say 10dB PAR for 802.11 OFDM).

Once the peak load current is defined then you can try to size a MOSFET to deliver that current without going into triode. Once you analyze the device you will find you need to impedance match it to the load impedance and then the device current requirements will change according to the impedance transformation ratio.

Typically the higher the required peak output power, the lower the drain impedance will be (this also depends on the available power supply voltage, the lower the voltage the higher the current).

Another way to estimate the required device current is to assume some target peak efficiency and then calculate what the device current would be to meet that efficiency and attempt to design the MOSFET for the target dissapation and power delivered to the load.

My point here is that the required load current is one of the driving requirements for determining output stage size and current.

View Profile   IP Logged
andrew_wee

Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2009, 7:54pm

Thank you,RFICDUDE.
But if i design a three-staged differential PA,how can i determine the size of MOSFET in every stage? hand calculation? You know,when the signal is large, the functions of MOSFET operated at small signal are not proper.Maybe i should resort to the computer,but how?
Are there any materials helpful for me?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.