The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 28th, 2024, 4:17pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gain Margin (Read 14829 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Gain Margin
Jun 07th, 2009, 12:44am

hi,
  can any body please tell what is the significance of gain margin? I know about phase margin significance like ringing and peaking..i didn't see in any text about this?

Thanks,
rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: Gain Margin
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2009, 1:57am

Hi, rajasekhar

Itīs very simple.
At the frequency where the loop gain is unity: The phase margin is the amount of phase to be introduced into the loop in order to get a total phase of 360 deg. (which is the oscillation condition regarding the phase)

At the frequency where the loop phase is 360 deg.: The gain margin is the amount of gain to be introduced into the loop to get a total gain of unity (osc. condition for gain).
(Comment: In the Nyquist diagram the critical phase is 180 deg instead of 360 deg. because the neg. feedback sign is not included).

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2009, 2:48am

hi buddypoor,
                   tx for your ans but what i am asking whats the impact of less gain margin on step response?

Thanks,
Rajasekhar.

sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2009, 4:50am

Raja,

The same effect of insufficient gain margin is the same as
not having enough phase margin.  They are two measurements
with two different reference points of the same thing, how close
you are to oscillation. Phase margin tells you how close you
are in phase and gain margin tells you how close you are in
gain.

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2009, 9:21am

Hi,

the gain margin tells you (in common cases) how much gain headroom you have before your system will become unstable. i.e suppose you have a simple system where your gain margin is 10 dB. If you were to increase your feedback factor by 10 dB your system would become unstable.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2009, 1:36pm

hi all,
       thanks for your reply,lastly i want to know what is the reasonable value of gain margin like 60 deg phase margin is good and above is good from stability point of view but slow.
  As Sheldon said phase margin and gain margin are same indications means if PM is high means GM is also good but i think other way around is wrong because even though you have less PM there may be some poles beyond UGB which can give high GM, so now oscillation condition for magnitude is not satisfied and it may not oscillate.

thanks,
Rajasekhar.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2009, 10:35pm

raja.cedt wrote on Jun 7th, 2009, 1:36pm:
  As Sheldon said phase margin and gain margin are same indications means if PM is high means GM is also good but i think other way around is wrong because even though you have less PM there may be some poles beyond UGB which can give high GM, so now oscillation condition for magnitude is not satisfied and it may not oscillate.

I donīt think it is so simple. You can have a good PM and at the same time a rather small GM and VICE VERSA ! More than that, the simple rule that a PM of 60 deg ensures a good step response is true only for a simple 2nd order system.
In addition of PM and GM there is 3rd margin called "vector margin" which is something like a combination of PM and GM - it is equivalent to the minimum distance between the nyquist curve and the critical point "-1".

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2009, 11:25pm

hi buddypoor,
                     i am very happy to see your answer with a new interesting term (vector margin), but if you have time can you please direct me a good reference regarding Vector margin or give little introduction about that.

thanks,
Rajasekhar.

vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2009, 4:12am

Hi,

I don't believe that there is a magic number for gain margin (GM) in any textbook which tells you how much GM you need to get a certain kind of settling pattern for a second order system. However, you may try to derive that and call this GM_min.

That being said, you need the same sort of rules for defining GM as for PM, i.e. GM should be large enough that despite all expected variations (process, supply voltage, temperature, signal level etc.), it is still sufficient to achieve GM_min.

Regards,

Vivek
raja.cedt wrote on Jun 7th, 2009, 1:36pm:
hi all,
       thanks for your reply,lastly i want to know what is the reasonable value of gain margin like 60 deg phase margin is good and above is good from stability point of view but slow.

thanks,
Rajasekhar.

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2009, 4:23am

And in any case, you should always do a transient simulation of the step response, which will tell you the final truth. Also examine the effect of variations (as mentioned by Vivek) on the step response.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #10 - Jun 8th, 2009, 4:25am

raja.cedt wrote on Jun 7th, 2009, 11:25pm:
hi buddypoor,
                     i am very happy to see your answer with a new interesting term (vector margin), but if you have time can you please direct me a good reference regarding Vector margin or give little introduction about that.

thanks,
Rajasekhar.

Hi Rajasekhar,
please find some information on the enclosed pdf- document.
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
bharat
Community Member

Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2009, 3:32am

As responded in the earlier posts PM and GM both are two different measurement of same thing i.e. instability of the system.

From PM alone one can decisively say that whether the system has potential threat of instability or not but on seeing GM it is not so.
If PM = 35 deg, the condition of oscillation is at the border
(considering the Supply, Voltage & Temperature variations).

But if GM is <5dB or so, Can we still say that the system may potentially go to instability?

Even if GM is <5dB but PM is 92 deg (say), there is no real threat of instability because though the pole is outside UGB but very close to UGB (which may be causing low GM), 92 deg of PM is good enough to take care even if the pole comes inside the UGB in different Voltage, Process and Temperature conditions

So from PM alone one comment about the stability of the system BUT from GM alone it is hard to make same comment.

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #12 - Jul 24th, 2009, 7:34am

Hi Bharat,

if you have a GM of 5 dB, and your DC loop gain drops by 5 dB without any change in the pole positions, then I believe your system will be unstable. So in that respect GM does tell you how close you are to instability. Correct me if i'm wrong.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
ray_wang

Shanghai
Reply #13 - Jul 24th, 2009, 9:42am

In my opinion, phase margin is more important since it is calculated at GBW.  Those poles and zeros that affect transfer function below GBW  also have impact on settling. Gain margin is calculated beyond GBW and poles and zeros there have little impact on settling, but still affect transfer function.
We want to know the impact on settling, therefore, PM can be viewed a direct index of poles and zeros that has such impact.  As for GM, some outband poles and zeros might affect it but not settling, making it less meaningful.
As a extreme case, I once designed a feedforward opamp which gives PM of 30 but no GM below GBW*10! The phase shift returns from 150 to 120 above GBW and begins to drop beyond GBW*10.

View Profile   IP Logged
skywalker_1

Reply #14 - Aug 1st, 2009, 12:00am

In other words, I always consider gain margin for some unknown effect of zeros after 2nd pole.
But this effect is visible in transient simulation.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.