The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 26th, 2024, 7:31pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
can Verilog-A model run unix command? (Read 140 times)
seefree

can Verilog-A model run unix command?
Oct 07th, 2009, 1:20pm

I want to run Unix command during simulation, e.g, spectre or other simulators follows the netlist file. Can I write a veriloga model which could execute some unix commands, such as env, cp, pwd, etc?

Thanks,

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: can Verilog-A model run unix command?
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2009, 6:10am

No.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2010, 11:56am

Not VerilogA, but spectre has a "shell" analysis which would allow you to do this.

Type "spectre -h shell" to see the details.

For example:

Code:
doCmd shell cmd="cp file1 file" 

Regards,

Andrew.

cmolsen

NY
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2011, 12:22pm

One year later now... Is it still impossible to run unix commands in Verilog-A?

If so, what is the reason this is not being made possible to do?

Can individual tool vendors like Cadence and Synopsys enable such functionality in their versions of Verilog-A ?

---Michael Olsen

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 5:26am

Verilog-AMS is a hardware description language; by design, it is intended to be simulator-independent (and operating-system independent).

I don't know why you expect that this feature would be appropriate for a modeling language.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Marq Kole

Hmmm. That's
weird...

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2011, 6:03am

Maybe more specifically: what did you have in mind for unix commands to run? There might be alternative ways to achieve the same end result without having to resort to unix commands from inside a model...

Cheers
Marq

View Profile   IP Logged
cmolsen

NY
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2011, 9:09am

For example, I thought it could be useful to notify my iPhone about the progress of a time consuming Verilog-A simulation.

A little monitor function inside the VA module examines internal conditions, e.g. time or some local state. When some condition is met, it prints out relevant internal variables to a file. It then uses the system() command to call a network application that sends a message to an email address or to my "Verilog-A" iPhone app from which I may even  be able to control the operation of the VA module, like terminating it or adjusting variables.

I can understand there are dangers associated with a VA module taking external input. But such is life with most programming languages. Why do we need special protection when it comes to Verilog-A?

---Michael

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2011, 2:49pm by cmolsen »  
View Profile   IP Logged
cmolsen

NY
Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2011, 3:37pm

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Feb 22nd, 2011, 5:26am:
Verilog-AMS is a hardware description language; by design, it is intended to be simulator-independent (and operating-system independent).

I don't know why you expect that this feature would be appropriate for a modeling language.

When I use the fopen() command in VA, isn't the VA interpreter interacting with the OS or does it channel the fopen() command through the simulator interface?

My guess is the VA interpreter interacts with the OS to open the file. And if it can do that then it could probably also handle any other OS function call, like system().

The VA code itself would still be OS independent. It's the interpreter that has to be deal with the OS.  But maybe I have it all mixed up.

View Profile   IP Logged
Marq Kole

Hmmm. That's
weird...

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2011, 12:45am

This appears to me like a problem that should not be solved in Verilog-A. A much better solution that can be done completely in the OS is to have a background process watch a certain file or location for new files or updates of existing files. Then upon noting any such change at the monitored location the process can (re)read the updates and base its actions on the new information.

This is not a specifically analog feature so it will not be taken up by the Accellera Verilog-AMS standardization: it should be part of the larger IEEE 1800 standard. Unless you are willing to spend a lot of time lobbying and convincing people at the IEEE 1800 standardization group - and I personally don't think you have a very strong use case - there is not going to be a system() call in Verilog-A.

Cheers,
Marq

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.