The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 21st, 2024, 8:22am
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
design example for gm/Id methodology (Read 2859 times)
ipyd

Re: design example for gm/Id methodology
Reply #15 - Jan 23rd, 2010, 6:38am

Hi all,

in this methodology, do we also have to find the characteristic of rds of  the transistor? because I find myself stuck when trying to design an amplifier with active-load in which the gain is a function of rds.

if yes, how to get the curve of it ?

Thank you

View Profile   IP Logged
yvkrishna

Reply #16 - Jan 30th, 2010, 11:26pm

hi ipyd,

see this for characterizing gds ...from ee214 lectures.

Regards,
Vamshi

gds_vds.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #17 - Feb 19th, 2010, 3:58am

ipyd wrote on Jan 12th, 2010, 9:09am:
i am confused how to setup simulation to get gm/ID vs ID/W graph.

in Mr.Murmann's lecture notes, he use single nmos which its drain and gate isn't connected each other. he uses about VDD/2 for VDS voltage and runs dc simulation for variable VGS voltage. FYI, I found different result for different VDS voltage.

On the other hand, in Ashutosh Tiwari's lecture notes, he also runs dc simulation for variable VGS voltage but with drain terminal connects to gate terminal, which ensure the device remains in saturation region.

which one is correct?

**please refer to : http://discovery.bits-pilani.ac.in/discipline/eee/agupta/microelectronic-circuit... for Ashutosh Tiwari's lecture notes.

Hi ipyd,

I run a simple simulation, in which the drain voltage and gate voltage are swept. Gm/Id for nmos and pmos are ploted and attached here. It is 0.13um CMOS process, 1.2V nmos and pmos. Gm/Id curves keep almost constant unless VD (drain-source voltage) becomes near zero. It means that this method is applicable in almost all operating regions. So both method can get good enough results to let the designers make their choices. Please remember that such the drain-source voltage usually is not equal to the real value when the transistors are used in OPAMP and the above results are good enough.

MOS_gmoverID.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.