The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 9:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
definition of VDSAT -- for an LDMOS (Read 7241 times)
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
definition of VDSAT -- for an LDMOS
May 26th, 2010, 5:37am

In another thread ( http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1101762622 ) it was discussed how a simplistic calculation for VDSAT is VGS-VTH, but this doesn't work even for BSIM3 because of various additional effects.

I have some designers who are interested in VDSAT for an LDMOS device, which has a channel region and a drift region.  In some LDMOS models, such as Philips/NXP's MOS20, there is an internal drain node, and two saturation voltages (one for the channel and one for the drift).

Does anyone have a useful definition of VDSAT that's general enough to handle this case?  The designers want to be in saturation, such that that output resistance is "high."  So, I could imagine, "VDSAT is the voltage at which the output resistance is ____."  Is that number a fixed value?  Something that depends on L and W?  Dependent on the output resistance at Vds=0?

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Re: definition of VDSAT -- for an LDMOS
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2010, 11:22am

The number isn't fixed -- your output resistance needs to be high enough in order to meet your spec (e.g. gain).  You need to have enough Vds across a device (plus some margin) so that your specs are met and your design works across corners.  

I usually look at the Vdsat reported by the simulator in a .OP analysis and I'm usually looking for atleast 100mV Vds higher than Vdsat, worst case.  But I'll look at my gain first before I even look at Vds biases and that's where I'll notice a problem if any.

« Last Edit: May 26th, 2010, 1:53pm by AnalogDE »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2010, 5:50am

Thanks for the response.  However, I'm working on this from the other direction: I develop the simulator, and I want this LDMOS model to report a VDSAT, but I need to know what it is the designer is looking for.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Mooraka

Lexington, KY
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2010, 5:57am

I think the simulator should be able to print both Vdsat values and designer may need to operate between these two values to get high Rout.

Thanks
Ram

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.