The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 4th, 2024, 5:48am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to setup parameters when do pss+pnoise for PFD+CP? (Read 4610 times)
easyads

How to setup parameters when do pss+pnoise for PFD+CP?
May 26th, 2010, 10:59pm

Hi
   I am doing pss+pnoise analysis to simulate PFD+CP noise.
The PFD working frequency is 1MHz. The Ton(to eliminate dead zone) of CP 1ns.  And I have some problems and need you help.
1. how to choose pss harmonic in pss setup? 10,100 or 1000 for this case?
2. how to choose max sideband in pnoise setup? 10, 100 or 1000 for this case?
3. Can we choose max sideband in pnoise large than pss harmonic in pss? for example, maxsideband=1000, pss harmonic=10
Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: How to setup parameters when do pss+pnoise for PFD+CP?
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2010, 11:24pm

You chose the harmonics based on how many harmonics you want to see. Often it is set to one because you only need the fundamental. The number of sidebands determines the accuracy of the noise analysis. Start with a reasonable number and then increase it and see how the noise results change. Choose a value that gives you a reasonable trade off between accuracy and speed.

See http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/sc-filters.pdf for general information about setting maxsidebands.

harmonics and maxsidebands can be set completely independently of each other.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
steff

Re: How to setup parameters when do pss+pnoise for PFD+CP?
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2010, 3:39am

Hi,
I'm simulating a PFD/CP and I want to get the output noise. As written somewhere in the forum i drive the PFD with a vpulse and then i measure the output current noise.
While setting the simulation parameters in pnoise analysis ( i'm using cadence) i set "Sweeptype" to relative and then i choose the first armonic. Is this setting right? Or i have to set "Sweeptype" to absolute?

thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.