The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 9:01am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
probing external current from subckt enclosed bsource expression (Read 2617 times)
Kalimero

probing external current from subckt enclosed bsource expression
Jun 05th, 2010, 11:46pm

Is it possible to probe a branch current (on the main circuit)  from a bsource subckt ?! According to all the available data it should be.

subckt bsrc (PLUS MINUS)
 B (PLUS MINUS) bsource i = exp(v(34,0)) * i("V2:0")
ends bsrc

ERROR that I get is -> Probe 'I1.V2' does not exist in the netlist

V2 is the instance name of a zero volt DC source in my main circuit.
I1 is the instance name of my bsource component in the main circuit.

I have no problem probing current from other subckts - for example

i("I4.V2:0") -> Works just fine ..

I4 is an instance name of another subckt on the main circuit.

What path name can I use to probe individual devices on the main circuit. ?

This problem does not exist for voltage probes.

I would be grateful for some insight -

View Profile   IP Logged
Kalimero

Re: probing external current from subckt enclosed bsource expression
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2010, 5:41am

I did not word that clearly at all .. I guess what I'm asking is how can I probe the current through a component on the main schematic, If i have to do it from inside a subcircuit definition?.

using Spectre simulator - Cadence 5.0.0 - icfb.exe version 5.1.0

I am modeling a behavioral current source - the current being a function of a node voltage and an external branch current. I am probing this external current at the plus node of a voltage source on the main circuit ---> V1 (10, 0) vsource DC = 0  

However since I am using ADE I am not writing my own netlist so I have to instantiate the bsource as a component and include it in my circuit  ... to do this I have to define the device as a subciruit and include the .scs file before running the simulation.

B bsource i = v(6,0) * i("V1:0")

I reference the voltage probe and the current probe from within the subckt definition as I am not aware of another way to do it.

The simulator correctly identifies the voltage I am probing - However it can not locate the instance_name through which i am probing the current,  because it looks for it only within the subcircuit containing the bsource expression.

As a result I get an error I1.V1 is not found on the netlist -> this is correct because V1 only exist on the main schematic. But it makes no sense to get this error because a signal path is defined from the main circuit file downwards. If I specify a path for a current through a component within another subckt t --> i("I3.V3:0") the probe works fine - However the component I need to probe is on the main circuit - its an analogLib component external to any subcircuits.

The work around is to fake a path.to.internal argument for the current probe by packaging a  vsource Dc = 0 in a symbol with PLUS MINUS ports and placing an instance of it on the main schematic at the point I need to probe to current - in effect making a bogus subcircuit. Then I can probe the current I need from te main circuit by giving the current probe (in the bsource expression)  a path, through the bogus subcircuit instance, to its internal component (vsource dc = 0)...

But This is such a clumsy fix .. Yet I am unable to make the current probe work any other way - ... So I was hoping a some feedback on what I may be doing wrong - Thank you ..      

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.