The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:15pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
LNA NF and gdo, zero bias drain conductance understanding help. (Read 4614 times)
Thorndike

LNA NF and gdo, zero bias drain conductance understanding help.
Jun 09th, 2010, 12:10pm

Hello All,

On reading papers about noise figure in LNA design, I'm coming across the parameter gdo, zero bias drain conductance a lot and having a little difficulty getting my head around this parameter.

I'm thinking that this is the inverse of the channel resistance when Vds=0 and the gate hard switched.

Is that correct? Is there someway that I would be able to simulate this parameter?

Thanks.

Thorn.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: LNA NF and gdo, zero bias drain conductance understanding help.
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2010, 5:17pm

Basically the channel is a voltage controlled conductance (gdo) with a high active output impedance when the device is operation in saturation.

Even in saturation the channel has a conductance which is close to gdo, but the impedance at the drain is much higher because the channel is pinched off. The drain conductance contributes a thermal noise current at the drain terminal, so this is why you see references to gdo with a scaling factor (gamma). The active drain conductance is not equal to gdo because the channel charge density is not constant (somewhat triangular distribution) across the channel. For Vds=0, the charge density is ideally constant across the inverted channel and therefore the channel just looks like a thermal resistance. In saturation (pinchoff) the depletion region raises the impedance at the drain, but the thermal noise current comes straight through. So, you can achieve good gain, but the noise is dominated by the channel thermal noise.

Also, to complicate matters, some of the channel thermal noise leaks into the gate via the gate to channel capacitance. Mostly this is taken to be coupling related to Cgs, but really the coupling is distributed along the channel (quasi static model).

I hope this helps, a little, in regards to why the zero bias drain conductance shows up in CMOS LNA discussions.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2010, 9:07pm

Hi,

it is the drain-source conductance when VDS = 0. When VDS = 0, the device is in the triode region.

IDS=KW/L((VGS-VTH)VDS-1/2VDS2)

gds = dIDS/dVDS = KW/L((VGS-VTH)-VDS)

at VDS = 0, gds = KW/L(VGS-VTH)

this is approximately the same as gm in the saturation region. They are related by the parameter α = gm/gd0.

Not sure if that's what you are asking. Why do you say the gate should be hard-switched?

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Thorndike

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2010, 10:39pm

Thanks Aaron and RFICDude.

Makes perfect sense now. I'll revisit the lna papers and see if this adds to my understanding.

On the question of why I was saying it was hardswitched, for some reason the only way I could visualise this was to think of almost a transistor being used as a switch.

Thanks again,

Thorn

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2010, 9:35am

one possibilities I can think of  zero bias drain conductance "gdo" is often referred to in the Jfet model.  

see http://www.kennethkuhn.com/students/ee351/text/jfet_basics.pdf for example.

Is this paper for a MOSFET or JFET?
thanks
http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.