The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 3:30pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sigma delta modulators for PLL (Read 5176 times)
vp1953

sigma delta modulators for PLL
Jul 05th, 2010, 11:38am

I am looking for material to understand the working of sigma delta modulators for fractional PLL's. Specifically my interest is in MASH type 3 order or higher. It is very difficult to come across references that discuss this and so if anyone can point to any relevant references, it will be greatly appreciated.

Also was wondering what are the  tools out there that can help with the design (e.g. Matlab)?

Thank you in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: sigma delta modulators for PLL
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2010, 8:15pm

hi,
  start with dean  book and mean while just read about sigma delta modulator basics(for this you can refer any basic ADC book)

Thanks,
Rajasekhar

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2010, 10:04am

Hi Rajasekhar,

Dean's book discusses only a first order SDM. Most ADC's use an analog SDM, not the purely digital SDM's used for dithering in frac plls. I am looking for material on digital SDM with order at least 3.

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mayank
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2010, 9:00pm

Refer  "Understanding Delta-Sigma Converters" by Richard Schreier & Gabor C. Temes.

You will get MASH 1-1, 1-1-1, 2-1 & so on structures which are commonly used today.

--M

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2010, 8:59am

Hi Mayank,

Thank you very much for the reference. This is what i was looking for.

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2010, 2:19am

Mayank wrote on Jul 6th, 2010, 9:00pm:
Refer  "Understanding Delta-Sigma Converters" by Richard Schreier & Gabor C. Temes.

You will get MASH 1-1, 1-1-1, 2-1 & so on structures which are commonly used today.

--M

Is the book you mention better than this one:

Delta-Sigma Data Converters: Theory, Design, and Simulation by Steven R. Norsworthy, Richard Schreier, and Gabor C. Temes

For the latter one I hear it is very detailed on different implementations of SDM, and is quite brief on the basic stuff. How is that with the one you mention?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.