The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 28th, 2024, 8:03pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tuning cirtuit for a Gm-C filter (Read 2393 times)
spring

China ShangHai
Tuning cirtuit for a Gm-C filter
Jul 10th, 2010, 7:57pm

Hi, everyone
Now I am doing a Gm-C RF tracking band pass filter whose working freq is from 48M to 300M by using Tow-Thomas architecture; the tuning circuit is confused me a lot. i try to use PLL as tuning circuit, i use the same Gm-C cell to building a vco, but the oscillate freq is not the same as the BPF, why? anybody can help me, thank you:)  or can other proper method be used as tuning circuit?
Spring

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Re: Tuning cirtuit for a Gm-C filter
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2010, 11:00pm

that the large signal oscillation biasing is not the same as the small signal one (it may start out similar but in oscillation it probably changes).  The large signal oscillation may include current slewing that will make the time const different.

Oscillating at the Bandpass frequency is not important. adjusting the right amount of R or C is what is needed to remove process variations from the filter is. this does not have to happen at frequency instead
Instead make a current proportional to R
charge C with that current to a voltage V
compare to a time reference and make a correction
dump C an repeat.  If your circuit has a parasitic capacitance that is large the include devices that make up that parasitic in the charging of C.
http://rfcooltools.com

View Profile   IP Logged
spring

China ShangHai
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2010, 12:02am

rfcooltools.com wrote on Jul 10th, 2010, 11:00pm:
that the large signal oscillation biasing is not the same as the small signal one (it may start out similar but in oscillation it probably changes).  The large signal oscillation may include current slewing that will make the time const different.

Oscillating at the Bandpass frequency is not important. adjusting the right amount of R or C is what is needed to remove process variations from the filter is. this does not have to happen at frequency instead
Instead make a current proportional to R
charge C with that current to a voltage V
compare to a time reference and make a correction
dump C an repeat.  If your circuit has a parasitic capacitance that is large the include devices that make up that parasitic in the charging of C.

thank you for you reponse:)
i know for active RC the method you mentioned is effective3, but for Gm-C circuit, the Gm is not easy to measure.

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2010, 10:10am

I was not paying attention sorry..
Gm-C tuning here is a way
make a Gm=1/R circuit where R can either be an external resistor or using a NMOS in triode  and an opamp to control the the gate create a resistor copy
This is done by using a constant current as the drain current for the NMOS and the gate is adjusted mimic a Bandgap related voltage.  This gate voltage in conjunction with another equivalent size NMOS will be the R in the Gm=1/R

From the Gm=1/R circuit mirror the current from this block and use it to charge the capacitor then repeat the steps above my previous post.  

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2010, 12:19pm

Good grief no!

Tune the -6dB point of the filter.

Create an input frequency signal at the -6dB point of the filter.
Put input signal into filter.
Put input signal resistor divider
Compare amplitudes of the 2 signals (build an amplituide detector)

Adjust filter until amplitudes match.
Done.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
spring

China ShangHai
Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2010, 10:40pm

rfcooltools.com wrote on Jul 11th, 2010, 10:10am:
I was not paying attention sorry..
Gm-C tuning here is a way
make a Gm=1/R circuit where R can either be an external resistor or using a NMOS in triode  and an opamp to control the the gate create a resistor copy
This is done by using a constant current as the drain current for the NMOS and the gate is adjusted mimic a Bandgap related voltage.  This gate voltage in conjunction with another equivalent size NMOS will be the R in the Gm=1/R

From the Gm=1/R circuit mirror the current from this block and use it to charge the capacitor then repeat the steps above my previous post.  

Thank you for you attention:)  I have got you mean, but the difficult is how to build a Gm=1/R circuit .

View Profile   IP Logged
spring

China ShangHai
Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2010, 10:49pm

loose-electron wrote on Jul 11th, 2010, 12:19pm:
Good grief no!

Tune the -6dB point of the filter.

Create an input frequency signal at the -6dB point of the filter.
Put input signal into filter.
Put input signal resistor divider
Compare amplitudes of the 2 signals (build an amplituide detector)

Adjust filter until amplitudes match.
Done.

Thank you for you response:)

Why choose -6dB point of the filter, i see same papers choose 0 dB point of the filter, but the accuracy of the amplitude detecor  limit the tuning accuracy of the filter.

Spring

View Profile   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #7 - Jul 12th, 2010, 11:01am

GM=1/R for longer geometries of fets the ratio is around 1: 4 but with smaller geometries 0.18uM or less you will have to play around with the ratios to get Gm proportional to 1/R

|___           |
  |      |         |
  |---| |     |---
4       |o--o|      1
  |---|       |---|
  \                 |
R /                 |
  \                 |
  ---------------

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2010, 2:03am

Hi Loose_electron,

you mentioned tuning to the -6 dB frequency. I think you may have misread the post since this is a bandpass filter. Otherwise could you please explain a bit further. Thanks.

Hi Spring,

IMO if you're going with tuning using the method mentioned by loose_electron, then you could do a phase comparsion at the input and output of the filter since the phase shift should be zero at the center frequency.

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
aLittleKnowledge

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2010, 4:20am

Once you have acquired the signal, the phase-shift method proposed by aaron_do looks good.  But unless it's a single pole design the required phase shift will not be zero.

View Profile   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2010, 3:06pm

Your architecture will depend on your system.  Can this be a one time tune (with external reference signal), an occassional on chip tune between operations, or a continuous tuning to track temperature/VDD, etc. (ie, master/slave operation).

The question of how to make 1/R from a Gm is pretty fundamental.
A Gm can be a single xter or diff pair, with sometimes complex biasing (ie, CMFB, degeneration tuning).  
The outputs are connected to the inputs of an appropriate polarity.

The ascii stick figure someone drew looked more like a delta-VGS bias than a Gm to me.  Not like a trans-conductance cell.

I recall the Johns & Martin text has some tuning examples that might be useful to you .

Good luck,
Wave

;)

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2010, 11:14am

Hi Rfcooltools,

The stick figure looks very cool!!

The current in each leg is proportional to 1/R^2. And Gm is proportional to 1/R but why the ratio 4:1; the relationship seems to hold for many other ratios.

|___           |
 |      |         |
 |---| |     |---
4       |o--o|      1
 |---|       |---|
 \                 |
R /                 |
 \                 |
 ---------------

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #12 - Jul 17th, 2010, 12:21pm

aaron_do wrote on Jul 13th, 2010, 2:03am:
you mentioned tuning to the -6 dB frequency. I think you may have misread the post since this is a bandpass filter. Otherwise could you please explain a bit further. Thanks.

Ok, my bad, I was thinking a LPF.

For a BPF its a little different.

If the BPF is narrow in BW you tune for an amplitude peak using a band centered reference signal.

If the BPF is a bit wider, you generate two reference signals that sit on band edges (one above band center, one below), and you adjust  your tune for amplitude balance between the two signals.

Another option is using a band centered test signal and adjusting the tuning up-down and find the -6dB points of the
tuning system, and then splitting the difference to center the BPF. Tuning system has to be linear.

Many possible options there.

The reason I suggested -6dB is because it's easily generated, V/2 is pretty easy to do right?

gmC filters will require updating due to temps and process corners. Will need to update settings periodically.

Oh, and I am a big proponent of digital tuning systems. Switched systems are just a bit more predictable than an analog FB system.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rfcooltools.com

Reply #13 - Jul 17th, 2010, 3:44pm

to get exactly gm=1/R 4:1 is required for a square-law device to get exactly that.  see my attached derivation

otherwise gm=X/R where X is some other constant  multiplier

View Profile   IP Logged
vp1953

Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2010, 2:30pm

Hi Rfcooltools,

Thanks for the detailed derivation. I had assumed proportionality and not equality. For Gm =1/R, agreed that it should be 4:1

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.