The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 8:58am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spectre BSIM3(V3.2) Model Questions (Read 69 times)
pink_panther

Istanbul/TURKEY
Spectre BSIM3(V3.2) Model Questions
Sep 16th, 2010, 4:41am

Hi,

I have couple questions regarding a BSIM3(V3.2) model file, especially the flow. I don't have deep knowledge about the modeling stuff, please bear with me.

We have this model from the foundry. There is a section, which I don't understand how it works. The section is given below between the # signs.

I understand that some where at the top the section "mos" is chosen and so we got to the point "subckt nch ( d g s b )". Since my transistors have the property "nch", we go into the "subckt nch ( d g s b )" as well.

What I don't understand is how do we get into the section "nch_model"? In this section the real transistor parameters are located.

What kind of special meaning does the word "mxckt" have? It seems like that makes it to go into the "nch_model" section.

In general, how is the flow in a model file controlled? Does the Spectre read the model file line by line, unless there is a specific command, which tells to the simulator to jump, like the "section" and "subckt" words.

For example, if we didn't have the word "mxckt", would we be stilling going into the "nch_model" section, even though my transistors don't have such property on it?

Thanks

################################################
section mos

subckt nch ( d g s b )
parameters w=10e-6 l=10e-6 as=0 ad=0 ps=0 pd=0 count=1
+ ...
+.. (Bunch of parameters in this portion)

mxckt ( d g s b ) nch_model w=w l=l as=as ad=ad ps=ps pd=pd

model nch_model bsim3v3  {
    0: type=n
################################################

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Spectre BSIM3(V3.2) Model Questions
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2010, 5:09am

The subckt you have is essentially just a wrapper.  This line:

is the actual mos instance inside the subckt.  The name mxckt is arbitrary, but obviously the model name (nch_model) has to line up with the model card.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
pink_panther

Istanbul/TURKEY
Re: Spectre BSIM3(V3.2) Model Questions
Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2010, 7:32am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Sep 16th, 2010, 5:09am:
The subckt you have is essentially just a wrapper.  This line:

is the actual mos instance inside the subckt.  The name mxckt is arbitrary, but obviously the model name (nch_model) has to line up with the model card.

Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for your reply. I see what you mean.

The line "mxckt ( d g s b ) nch_model w=w l=l as=as ad=ad ps=ps pd=pd" represents a single transistor, in which the parameters "w=w l=l as=as ad=ad ps=ps pd=pd" come from the subckt call one above and the transistor uses the model "nch_model"

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.