The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 3:43pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does TSMC Spice model include impacted ionization effect? (Read 7179 times)
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Does TSMC Spice model include impacted ionization effect?
Jan 28th, 2011, 10:18pm

In simulation, people see the I-V curve will have similar behavior when the Vds is very large.

Not sure if this is due to the modeling of Ib due to impacted ionization?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Does TSMC Spice model include impacted ionization effect?
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2011, 2:00pm

probably not - but you need to get a lot more specific in which foundry process, what models are used, etc, etc -

When you get to that level of detail, you can then look at the model parameters and figure it out yourself.

Time to be an engineer!

Genrally speaking, TSMC models are not that good, a lot of places use the foundry and develop their own models for it.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2011, 3:01pm

Thanks for the heads up. I just want to get some quick answer before I get into sleep last night.

I did some simple google search and yes, this effect is included in the bsim model.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2011, 6:23am

neoflash wrote on Jan 29th, 2011, 3:01pm:
Thanks for the heads up. I just want to get some quick answer before I get into sleep last night.

I did some simple google search and yes, this effect is included in the bsim model.

What do you mean neoflash? Sure! impact ionization can be modelled using the BSIM4 model, but only if the foundry has bothered to measure the relevant parameters and keyed them into the model file you are using. You can check your model file for parameters: alpha0, alpha1 and beta0 (For a description, do spectre -help bsim4, and for the entire expression for impact ionization current, check the BSIM4 manual). Usually, the alpha parameters are set to zero when the effect is not characterized by the foundry. Of course, the foundry could also have dummy non-zero numbers which are not accurate, or do not show the true variation etc.

So, you can either look through all the details if this effect really matters to you, or else engineer your way around it. There are many ways of doing that.

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
modelman

Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2011, 1:37pm

loose-electron wrote on Jan 29th, 2011, 2:00pm:
Genrally speaking, TSMC models are not that good, a lot of places use the foundry and develop their own models for it.

Do you know in general terms what are the things lacking in TSMC models? I am looking at making some updates to their models and I am wondering if there are any major gaps I should be looking for in terms of usability for analog mixed signal design?

View Profile   IP Logged
neoflash
Community Fellow

Mixed-Signal
Designer

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2011, 3:37pm

vivkr wrote on Jan 31st, 2011, 6:23am:
neoflash wrote on Jan 29th, 2011, 3:01pm:

What do you mean neoflash? Sure! impact ionization can be modelled using the BSIM4 model, but only if the foundry has bothered to measure the relevant parameters and keyed them into the model file you are using. You can check your model file for parameters: alpha0, alpha1 and beta0 (For a description, do spectre -help bsim4, and for the entire expression for impact ionization current, check the BSIM4 manual). Usually, the alpha parameters are set to zero when the effect is not characterized by the foundry. Of course, the foundry could also have dummy non-zero numbers which are not accurate, or do not show the true variation etc.

So, you can either look through all the details if this effect really matters to you, or else engineer your way around it. There are many ways of doing that.

Vivek

Thanks Vivek.
I usually deal with such kinds of things in "shallow" approaches. I will just email the TSMC client support instead of spending hours on simulation and analysis. LOL.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.