The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 2:32pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How are Vtlin and Vtsat extracted from simulation results (Read 93 times)
modelman

How are Vtlin and Vtsat extracted from simulation results
Feb 01st, 2011, 5:26am

I often see curves that show VTlin vs Length  or VTsat vs Length  VTlin vs width, VTsat vs width etc.

I know how to create a netlist to sweep Length or Width and look at drain current.

Could you please explain how can I back calculate the threshold voltage?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: How are Vtlin and Vtsat extracted from simulation results
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2011, 10:03am

Experimentally, I think people usually sweep VG and define VT by a feature of the ID-VG plot; then they repeat this for the available widths on the test chip.

You could do the same in simulation, or, if you like the definition of VT reported in the op-pt info of your simulator, you can sweep W or L and look at the op-info.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
modelman

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2011, 12:48pm

Thank you Geoffrey.  

Is there a standard that is followed in calculating Vt from Id?

I recall mention of 300mA but I am not sure what it refers to.  I guess the device gets biased to produce Id=300mA and Vt is calculated based on a simple expression for Id as a function of mu, cox, W, L, Vgs, Vds and Vt

I suspect one would get different Vt values using this approach at different values of Vgs and Vds  (clearly Vt is a function of bias, otherwise there would not be different values for Vtlin and Vtsat)

What am I missing here?   Huh
Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Mooraka

Lexington, KY
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2011, 3:24pm

I think for scaled technologies, Vt is usually calculated using constant current method. For eg. Vtlin is defined as Vgs at Ids=300nA*(W/L) and Vds=50mV. Vtsat is calculated similar way but at Vds=Vcc.

You can check your Technology/Foundry documentation for exact definition/Id numbers.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.