The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 26th, 2024, 2:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clock of the SC CMFB (Read 3075 times)
LeonQQ

LA
Clock of the SC CMFB
Mar 17th, 2011, 10:34am

Hi folks,

I am designing a fully differential OTA used in a switched capacitor (SC) integrator. I want to use an SC CMFB for the OTA.

I wonder if I should use a much faster (say 4x faster) clock for the CMFB than the clock for the integrator, since the CMFB needs a few clock cycles to settle to the desired common-mode voltage.

I checked quite a few papers, but found no one mentioning the clock speed for the CMFB.

Thank you all in advance.

Leon

View Profile   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Re: Clock of the SC CMFB
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2011, 3:56pm

Hi,
      I think it would be fine provided u maintain that switch of the integrator and the switch of the CMFB not close at the same time. Correct me if i am wrong
Rakesh

View Profile   IP Logged
LeonQQ

LA
Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2011, 4:59pm

Hi Rakesh,

Thank you for your reply. Assume we use the same non-overlap clocks for both CMFB and the integrator. Assume PHI1 is for sampling and PHI2 is for integrating.

The OTA only needs to be available in PHI2. But the question is if the common mode of the OTA can settle fast enough to the desired value within PHI2?

Leon

View Profile   IP Logged
Rakesh
Community Member

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2011, 5:28pm

Hi  Leon,
                See during Phi1 u r sampling. During that time my SC CMFB should work and set the common mode of the OTA. During Phi2 we have the desired common mode voltage on the OTA and hence it can integrate. We need to design the CMFB such that the common mode settle within Phi1.
Correct me if i am wrong
Rakesh

View Profile   IP Logged
subgold
Community Member

Reply #4 - Mar 24th, 2011, 3:54am

i doubt if it is a good idea.

provided ur targeted common mode voltage is fixed and not changed at every cycle, then the problem you mentioned is more like a startup issue. once it settles to the desired common mode level, the SC CMFB will hold it and will not change any more, because theoritically there will be no more charge/discharge happening in the lossy integrator formed by the SC CMFB.

from a practical point of view, how do you obtain the 4x clock? it could be very costly. if you already have such a clock available, then why not use it to enhance the performance of the SC integrator itself?

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2011, 6:37am

what you are talking about is commonly referred to as "phased clocks" or "interleaved clocks"

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.