The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 16th, 2024, 9:22pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VCO Simulation (Read 2897 times)
pcardoso73

Portugal
VCO Simulation
Apr 29th, 2011, 10:13am

Dear all,

I am designing a VCO (quartz crystal at 80 MHz). I would like to do Phase-Noise/Jitter simulation, but the results are not coherent.

1 - In PNOISE should I choose FM or PM type of measurement ? If I choose PM, the "Threshold Value" should be set to Vpeak / 2 (where the zero crossings occur), right ?

2 - If I choose "Crossing Direction" to all, that means that I will have the jitter on the rising and falling edges. How does this work ? Can I calculate the jitter for both edges ?

3 - A completely different subject. I am simullating, both in weak and strong inversion. I thought that exponential law of the weak inversion would reduce 1/f noise, and thus the upconversion. I get a better plot of Phase-noise but worse values of jitter. Especially when I approach the harmonic. Please see the attached picture. Basically I have a very small harmonic, and when calculating the Jcc, its value keeps constant until I get close to the harmonic. I seems there is no contribution from 1/f^3 noise. Please notice that I did a FM simulation not PM. And the integration limits from 1 - 80 MHz (Crystal's frequency).

Best regards,
Pedro

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: VCO Simulation
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2011, 6:00pm

Due to the very high Q of the crystal, a lot of the simulations will have problems.

Standard strategy for a crystal is to take the output from the output end of the crystal and not the drive end of the crystal, because the High Q of the crytal is then used as a filter.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
pcardoso73

Portugal
Re: VCO Simulation
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2011, 6:33am

Hi thanks for your answer. Do you mean taking the output from the gate of the transistor rather from the drain ? At least no distortion that way.

But my main concerns arequestions 1, 2 and 3. That is which simulations are more appropriate to this type os circuit. For,  PNOISE with PM or FM
and how to setup them. "Threshold Voltage, Integration limits, ...."

Best regards,
Pedro

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.