The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 1:26pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AC resistance due to skin effect (Read 1584 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

AC resistance due to skin effect
May 30th, 2011, 12:53am

Hi all,

I'm reading a book called "Signal and Power Integrity - Simplified" by Eric Bogatin, and regarding line resistance, it is calculated as (Ch 6, section 6.16, pg 199),

RDC = ρ/wt
RAC = ρ/wδ

where ρ is resistivity, w is line width, t is line thickness, and δ is the skin depth.

In the book, there is also a figure showing the simulated current distribution of a cross-section of a line at three different frequencies. In the figure, at high frequency, it looks like most of the current is pushed to the side walls which makes sense to me since the line is much wider than it is thick. However, according to the above formulae, it seems that the calculation assumes that the current is pushed to the top and bottom surfaces of the metal. This is obvious since the formula for RAC includes w but not t. Can anybody explain why this is the case? The formula only makes sense to me if there is a nearby ground plane, but then the current distribution would be entirely at the bottom surface of the conductor and not how it is in the figure (6-24 on pg 198 if you have the book).

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: AC resistance due to skin effect
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2011, 1:11am

Hi all,

sorry for the false alarm, I guess I have figured it out. However, the figure in the book is a little misleading, as it doesn't really match up with the formulae IMO...

cheers,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.