The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 4:02am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ams simulator has very limited analog (solver) capability (Read 6202 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
ams simulator has very limited analog (solver) capability
Jun 29th, 2011, 10:45pm

Hi Guys,

I am trying to verify the function of my circuit, which contains a few analog blocks and a small digital circuitry. I think this is a job called analog verification in this forum. However, I find that the analog solver has very limited capability if I simulate with ams simulator.
For example, I need to run a transient simulation with slowly increasing temperature. This works with spectre simulator, but fails with ams simulator (ncsim+spectre). Obviously that transient analysis in ams is not compatible with that in spectre.

After I choose ams simulator in ADE, either IC5 or IC6, there are only 4 type of analysis availabe, tran, ac, dc, and envelope. Even the tran, dc analysis is not compatible with that in spectre simulator. DC analysis in ams simulator does not support sweeping parameters.

What a pity?

I need to model the analog blocks, which has various function, and I need to check that the analog blocks functions well. All those functions must have been checked carefully with spectre simulator by the analog designers. I want to run some analysis to check the functions on the top level with ams simulator.

Any comments are appreciated.

Best Regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: ams simulator has very limited analog (solver) capability
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2011, 4:07am

Yawei,
yes, ams has limited capabilities. If you need a parametric sweep, I suggest an OCEAN script.

B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: ams simulator has very limited analog (solver) capability
Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2011, 12:23am

Actually, the ability to create a code-based testbench gives one incredible power and flexibility. There are limitations no doubt, but there are limitations in traditional circuit simulators as well. The art of simulation is to understand how to use each simulator to its full advantage.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.