The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 31st, 2024, 11:18pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two ways to test the linearity of a Switched Capacitor Integrator? Which is bett (Read 2753 times)
sharezhao

Beijing RPC
Two ways to test the linearity of a Switched Capacitor Integrator? Which is bett
Aug 12th, 2011, 9:37pm

Dear all:

The switched capacitor integrator is as following. how to test the linearity of the integrator? I am consid [img][/img]ering to do it in following way.

1) Input is a pure sin wave, the do pss+pac, then calculate the iip3

2) input is a pure sin wave, the output is a stair-case sin wave, then sample the output and do DFT then watch the HD3.

Which way is better? Anyone watch this post must leave you idea. LoL!!

Thank you for your attention!!!

7_1312732414.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
harpoon

Hampshire
Re: Two ways to test the linearity of a Switched Capacitor Integrator? Which is bett
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2011, 1:35am

I am about to embark on a similar design ... have you tried both methods ? Does the result differ between the methods ?

For switched cap designs, I am very wary of PSS sims and will trust the transient + DFT/FFT results more.

My guess is that the more accurate way to simulate this is to use transient noise sims, but have not looked into that yet.

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Re: Two ways to test the linearity of a Switched Capacitor Integrator? Which is bett
Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2011, 7:01am

sharezhao wrote on Aug 12th, 2011, 9:37pm:
Dear all:

The switched capacitor integrator is as following. how to test the linearity of the integrator? I am consid [img][/img]ering to do it in following way.

1) Input is a pure sin wave, the do pss+pac, then calculate the iip3

2) input is a pure sin wave, the output is a stair-case sin wave, then sample the output and do DFT then watch the HD3.

Which way is better? Anyone watch this post must leave you idea. LoL!!

Thank you for your attention!!!

If you are asking for a choice between the two methods, then I would go with method (2) and do a DFT, simply because the dynamic range you can cover with a DFT is much larger. I assume that you will take care to perform coherent sampling so that you don't need to run an excessively long simulation.

On the other hand, the above integrator is really not seeing a dynamic sine input. It is only the sample-and-hold realized by the switches running in phi1 that are seeing this. If you can verify by other means (there are too many of those) that there is no appreciable limitation there, then your integrator is simply taking sampled inputs which are basically like DC. There are again many ways of characterizing the linearity of such an integrator. But then again, the best method depends on the kind of circuit this integrator is sitting inside. I suppose that this is only part of a larger loop.

Perhaps you are better off with method (2) after all...

Regards,
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.