The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 12:31pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
accuracy of PSP and BSIM model in the Accumulation mode (Read 5701 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

accuracy of PSP and BSIM model in the Accumulation mode
Sep 26th, 2011, 7:52pm

Hi,

I have a design where one of the transistors is biased with VGS equal to the negative supply voltage (it is an NMOS). I'm wondering whether the transistor model is accurate in this region. I have access to BSIM and PSP models, but they don't agree with each other. My thinking is that the transistor is normally biased with VGS between 0 and VDD, so the modeling accuracy may not be good with VGS << 0.

Any input is appreciated, and links to documents would be helpful too.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: accuracy of PSP and BSIM model in the Accumulation mode
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2011, 1:42pm

Probably, your characterization department has trouble making good measurements in such a low-current region, or they may not have even looked at data in that region.  I would expect it to be more strongly dependent on the accuracy/effort put into the extraction, rather than the model equations (BSIM4 vs PSP), though one might find that the more physical PSP model naturally gives you a consistent and accurate result for low VGS, whereas BSIM4 would need some further empirical parameter adjustments.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Re: accuracy of PSP and BSIM model in the Accumulation mode
Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2011, 6:14pm

Quote:
Probably, your characterization department has trouble making good measurements in such a low-current region

that sounds right. Thanks.

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.