The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 3:14pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VERILOG-A and imaginary numbers and functions (Read 5708 times)
T-4444

VERILOG-A and imaginary numbers and functions
Oct 12th, 2011, 5:32am

Hi there,

I am working on a compact model for a FinFET transistor in verilog-a, and I have a problem.

I have some equations and functions which deal with imaginary numbers. For instance:

u1v1 = cosh(`M_PI * (xm + i*(toxs_t + Tch/2)) / (2 * toxs_t + Tch));

Now I have to store the real and imaginary part into seperate variables, so I can use them later on. How does this work? In Matlab, for example, you can easily say: a=real(u1v1), and b=imag(u1v1).

Do you have an idea?

Thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: VERILOG-A and imaginary numbers and functions
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2011, 10:03am

What do you need complex numbers for?  (Verilog-A doesn't provide support for them.)

In one case, people wanted complex numbers to do correlated noise, and the solution was to use a ddt() formulation that gave rise to a 1/jω dependence (which was what was wanted -- not just the "j").

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
T-4444

Re: VERILOG-A and imaginary numbers and functions
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2011, 11:04pm

I need complex numbers because I am using the conformal mapping technique (which is based on complex functions) in order to calculate the electrostatics of my device, and finally the output current.

Anyway, I will try to do a workaround. When its done, I will post the result.

Thanks for replying.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.