The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 5:56pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
high gain (>100 dB) and low power op-amp topology ? (Read 4957 times)
gsensor
Community Member

high gain (>100 dB) and low power op-amp topology ?
Feb 19th, 2012, 8:00pm

Hi guys,

I'm working with 0.13 um CMOS technology and a 2.5V power supply.

I'm looking for a high gain (>100 dB) op-amp topology for narrow band low frequency signals (DC to 10 kHz). Ideally, I'm looking for a simple topology consuming less than 50 uW and having high voltage swing, near rail-to-rail. Low input referred noise is also needed, but as I'm planning to use an auto-zeroing (or CDS) configuration, this specification could be alleviated.

I have searched in scientific publications for hours, but I still don't find what I need..Any simple topology in mind ?

Thanks !

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: high gain (>100 dB) and low power op-amp topology ?
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2012, 12:27am

hello,
whats the application? better start with 2 stage with first stage cascode (if posb gain boosting) and 2nd stage common source amplifier, if you are not happy with gain go with another stage. At least while designing op amps you should start with some architecture and keep on adding some stuff to reach.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
gsensor
Community Member

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2012, 12:23pm

Hi Raja,

thanks for your response. Indeed, I will start with a standard folded cascode topology with gain boosted amplifiers. I will try to size my transistors in sub threshold operating region, to get low power and low input noise. Hope this will work !

View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2012, 1:24pm

gsensor wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012, 12:23pm:
Hi Raja,

thanks for your response. Indeed, I will start with a standard folded cascode topology with gain boosted amplifiers. I will try to size my transistors in sub threshold operating region, to get low power and low input noise. Hope this will work !

A bit of  advice.
Design gain boosting stuff at last step, but before current sources implementations. Gain boosting amplifiers must only increase DC gain and should not degrade high frequency response(settling, PM and so on). Current sources and active load in cascode stage (top PMOS and low NMOS) should be in strong inversion to maintain low noise and low offset performance. For low noise, transconductance of these guys should be as small as possible. Also, if these transistors in weak inversion, you have exponential current dependence on Vt... this is really bad  for the offset.

Don't use more than 2 stage. You will be able to satisfy the requirements with two stage. If you are not, means you r doing something wrong.
good luck

View Profile   IP Logged
mixed_signal

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2012, 4:16pm

Vladislav D wrote
"Also, if these transistors in weak inversion, you have exponential current dependence on Vt... this is really bad  for the offset. "

I think exponential relation hurts current and hence leads to current mismatch since I is exponential function of Vgs-Vth. But  Vgs is  Logarithmic function of I. So, offset should not be an issue in weak inversion.

Can anybody suggest me how to add qotation to some line in  previous posts?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2012, 1:02am

mixed_signal wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012, 4:16pm:
Vladislav D wrote
"Also, if these transistors in weak inversion, you have exponential current dependence on Vt... this is really bad  for the offset. "

I think exponential relation hurts current and hence leads to current mismatch since I is exponential function of Vgs-Vth. But  Vgs is  Logarithmic function of I. So, offset should not be an issue in weak inversion.
Thanks

For differential pair this is not an issue but for a current mirror it is

View Profile   IP Logged
gsensor
Community Member

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2012, 3:44pm

Hi,

thanks for your advices everyone. I'm a beginner in analog design and I tried to size my transistors for a first simulation run according to this (see attachment for schematic):

-Cascode transistors (T0-T1) with minimal length and weak inversion to have high gm.
-Current sources (T4,T3,T5,T9) with small gm and strong inversion.
-High gm/id for diff pair (T6,T7) and cascode (T0,T1).
-Low power :  Ibiais of 3 uA to get less than 25 uW.

Using simple calculations and couple of Spectre simulations, I got the design showed in attachment.

For some reason, when I simulate the open loop gain with Vcm = Vdd/2=2.5/2=1.25V and this equation : dB20((VF(''/vout'')/VF(''/vin+'')) in Spectre calculator tool, I get a DC gain of -40 dB, while hand calculations with experimental values gives me 53.3 dB, using this equation:
Av = (gmT6,T7 *gmT0,T1 *gmT5,T9) / (Ibiais^2 *(gmT0,T1*lambda_n^2 + gmT5,T9*lambda_p ) ) (from Dammak and al.)

Vin+ and Vin- are biased with AC =1 V and VDC=1.25V . What is going wrong ? Why it's not amplifying and what could I do to arrange this ?

Thanks a lot for your help,
gsensor

P.S: I'm using CMOSP 0.13 um with Vdd =2.5V

View Profile   IP Logged
gsensor
Community Member

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2012, 3:49pm

Here's the attachment

View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2012, 1:33am

My friend, you should fix a DC biasing of your amplifier first. Hint: use a feedback

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2012, 7:08am

Vladislav D wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012, 1:02am:
mixed_signal wrote on Feb 22nd, 2012, 4:16pm:
Vladislav D wrote

Thanks

For differential pair this is not an issue but for a current mirror it is

This is a bit confusing, so I'll restate what I think Vladislav meant.

Offset of the opamp will be ΔVT(diff) + ΔVT(mirrorp)*gm(mirrorp)/gm(diff) + ΔVT(mirrorn)*gm(mirrorn)/gm(diff), where mirrorp and mirrorn indicate the pmos and nmos mirrors of the folded cascode opamp.

ΔVT(diff) decreases as the square root of the area and has nothing to do with operating point. It could be significant if the sizes are small.

Note that the other terms are multiplied by the ratio of gms. If the diff pair gm is less than the mirror gm the VT mismatch from the mirror is actually amplified. This is why you want to operate the mirror in strong inversion - i.e make gm gm(mirror) small compared to  gm(diff). (This results in vdsat as large as possible, which unfortunately means an accurate mirror requires a lot of headroom.)

Noise follows the same principles.

The net result of all this is that you want to make your diff pair W/L ratio large, and the length of the mirror devices as large as you can. (It isn't obvious at first, but it turns out making the mirror devices wider does not help.) This definitely means the mirror should be operated in strong inversion and the diff pair in weak inversion if noise noise or offset is important.

Oh crap, I wrote all this and then remembered the OP is using CDS to null offset. Never mind  >:( Angry Angry Angry Grin However, doing all this will minimize thermal noise which might be an issue, and it really should be how you design any opamp even if you *think* you don't care about these things.

I'm afraid the folded cascode topology might not give you the "near rail-to-rail" performance you require. If that is the case I would do a simple two stage amplifier with Ahuja-type compensation. Standard Miller compensation could also be used. The noise and offset minimization principles I just explained apply to any opamp topology, and IMO are about the most important design consideration in opamp design.

rg

View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2012, 7:32am

RobG wrote on Mar 6th, 2012, 7:08am:
I'm afraid the folded cascode topology might not give you the "near rail-to-rail" performance you require. If that is the case I would do a simple two stage amplifier with Ahuja-type compensation. Standard Miller compensation could also be used. The noise and offset minimization principles I just explained apply to any opamp topology, and IMO are about the most important design consideration in opamp design.
rg

Yep, the important point, but why not to use the CMOS input pair?
And how can the "simple two stage amplifier" has higher CM range than folded-cascode?

View Profile   IP Logged
gsensor
Community Member

Reply #11 - Mar 6th, 2012, 8:56am

Vladislav D wrote
Quote:
My friend, you should fix a DC biasing of your amplifier first. Hint: use a feedback.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by DC biasing my amplifier first, isn't it what I'm already doing with the two VDC sources on vin+ and vin- ? What's the purpose of using a feedback configuration ?

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
RobG
Community Fellow

Bozeman, MT
Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2012, 9:11am

Vladislav D wrote on Mar 6th, 2012, 7:32am:
Yep, the important point, but why not to use the CMOS input pair?

I don't understand... I never said anything about not using a CMOS diff pair. He should use one for sure.
Quote:
And how can the "simple two stage amplifier" has higher CM range than folded-cascode?

Just to be clear, we are talking output swing, not input common mode. The reason a folded cascode opamp does not have "rail-to-rail" swing is because the output of a folded cascode amp is a cascoded device, thus it needs more than Vdsat(mirror) + Vdsat(cascode) headroom. Furthermore, Vdsat(mirror) should be relatively large to minimize noise (as I just explained). You generally can't get closer than 300-400 mV from either rail with a folded cascode without affecting the performance.

On the other hand, the two stage amp has non-cascoded output devices and the Vdsat of the output devices can be much smaller. You can even run the output devices in subthreshold without affecting the noise or offset.

Of course build a two stage amplifier with the folded cascode as the first stage if you need the gain.

View Profile   IP Logged
gsensor
Community Member

Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2012, 10:50am

Ok, I just didn't put an AC voltage difference between vi+ and vin-..
I have an open loop gain of 58 dB which is consistent with my calculations..

Small question: If I change my Input common range to 1V (instead of Vdd/2 = 1.25 V), my DC gain lowers to 40 dB. Is this because my input common range is too small ?

Thanks RobG for your advice on low noise design, I will use them to reduce flicker and thermal noise to the maximum, even thought I might also use a CDS or auto-zeroing setup. Apparently, these techniques can only cut your noise by five times, and I want to achieve less than 70 nV/sqrt Hz at 1 Hz.

View Profile   IP Logged
Vladislav D
Community Member

The Netherlands
Reply #14 - Mar 6th, 2012, 12:33pm

OK, RobG.  I misunderstood you because my first association with the "simple two stage amplifier" is a differential pair and the second stage is a transistor with active load. I  think, gain >100dB is hardly feasible with this topology.

It is not clear what is a closed loop configuration. If the CMOS input pair will be used, the summing point is needed and so this is a folded cascode, anyway.

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by DC biasing my amplifier first, isn't it what I'm already doing with the two VDC sources on vin+ and vin- ? What's the purpose of using a feedback configuration ?
Thank you.

Just think about how you are going to set the correct voltage at the nodes when the open-loop gain will be, say, 120dB. You need the feedback only at DC.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.