The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 30th, 2024, 7:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sigma Delta Jitter requiements (Read 170 times)
ic_engr

Sigma Delta Jitter requiements
Apr 10th, 2012, 6:54am

Hello Everyone,

I have a fundamental question regards to using the Phase Noise to estimate jitter for Sigma Delta. I can estimate the maximum sampling jitter for ADC as below:

For a Discrete Oversampling ADC, the maximum jitter can be computed as follows by the known expression:

J=(10-SNR/20)÷(2πfB).(√2.M),

where M=OSR, fB=Bandwidth of the ADC.

Usign the above expression for an OSR-133, BW=16kHz SNR=96dB

The maximum jitter allowed in sampling is: 2.56nSec (RMS)

For sampling the ADC, I am designing a ring oscillator generating 4.0MHz used as a sampling clock. I plotted the phase noise of the oscillator. My challenge now is for intgeration of phase noise what offset frequency lower limit should I use to compute jitter for my ring oscillator. Since I cannot violate the 1.78nsec.

The phase noise of my ring oscillator is as below

offset freq

View Profile   IP Logged
ic_engr

Sigma Delta Jitter requiements ( resubmit)
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2012, 6:59am

Hello Everyone,

I have a fundamental question regards to using the Phase Noise to estimate jitter for Sigma Delta. I can estimate the maximum sampling jitter for ADC as below:

For a Discrete Oversampling ADC, the maximum jitter can be computed as follows by the known expression:

J=(10-SNR/20)÷(2πfB).(√2.M),

where M=OSR, fB=Bandwidth of the ADC.

Usign the above expression for an OSR-133, BW=16kHz SNR=96dB

The maximum jitter allowed in sampling is: 2.56nSec (RMS)

For sampling the ADC, I am designing a ring oscillator generating 4.0MHz used as a sampling clock. I plotted the phase noise of the oscillator. My challenge now is for intgeration of phase noise what offset frequency lower limit should I use to compute jitter for my ring oscillator. Since I cannot violate the 2.56nsec.

The phase noise of my ring oscillator is as below

offset freq         L(f)
1.    100Hz              -29.85dBc
2.    1kHz                -59.87dBc
3.    100kHz            -118.3kHz
4.    2.0MHz            -148.9MHz

so when integrating the above phase noise should I integrate from 100Hz to 8.0MHz or from 1kHz to 8.0MHz ?

Depending what BW I use for integration I get different jitter number. But I need to make sure I am not violating my 2.56nsec.

Todate, I have not found any literature that explains what lower integration limit for offset freqquency be used for oscillator based on ADC requirement.

Regards

ic_engr.

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: Sigma Delta Jitter requiements
Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2012, 1:29am

A very similar question has just been answered at http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1333582616/9#9.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ic_engr

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2012, 6:43am

Frank,

Sorry, but when I went to the link it is talking about the noise intergration based on observation period.

My question is the lower integration limit in OFFSET frequency of oscillator phase noise plot.Any ideas ?

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2012, 7:40am

For the exact method, take a look at http://www.cadence.com/Community/forums/t/17940.aspx.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.