The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 5:12am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cellular ESD requirements (Read 1584 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Cellular ESD requirements
May 24th, 2012, 6:46pm

Hi all,

I've read several datasheets for cellular front end modules and switches stating that they meet 2kV, 4kV or even 8kV HBM ESD protection. Now I'm wondering, what is the actual requirement?

Second question, assume you've got your cellphone itself (i.e. fully assembled). Is it possible to ESD zap the antenna? From my understanding, an ESD zap has to go across a pair of terminals so that there is a return path. However, if only 1 terminal of the antenna is exposed, is it possible to have an ESD event?

thanks,
Aaron

EDIT: Seems like I've found the answer to the second question. I found an interesting article, but for some reason I can't find the link anymore, and its too big to post. Still interested in the answer to the first question.

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2012, 8:05pm by aaron_do »  

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re: Cellular ESD requirements
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2012, 1:07am

ESD levels on RF front ends are often poor (under 2Kv, or worse)
due to the desire to reduce front end capacitance
(ESD diodes got lots of junction C)

all that said, the higher the better!

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.