The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 6th, 2024, 12:00pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modeling of Frequency divider - Cadence SpectreRF (Read 743 times)
nikgr

Athens, Greece
Modeling of Frequency divider - Cadence SpectreRF
Oct 20th, 2012, 1:44am

Hi to everyone.

I have a VCO and I want to divide the frequency of the output signal by 2 and see through pss/pnoise analysis the phase noise of the divided signal. I want to use a behavioral model in Verilog-A. However I have problem with the starters, meaning:

First of all I saw that the simple counter doesn't work due to hidden states. So I saw the solution of frequency divider proposed by Ken Kundert for no hidden states, but it doesn't work neither because the output voltage is 0 volts.

Then i tried the D flip flop RF model proposed by Ken Kundert for no hidden states and I added a line that is the additional complementary output qc. I connected output qc with input d in order to have the classic divide-by-2 configuration.
The problem is that even transient analysis gives error: no DC solution  found (no convergence).

If i don't have output qc connected to input d (D flip flop function only) the transient analysis runs ok. So there is a problem with the initial condition of the loop ouput qc - input d.
However if I don't have output qc connected to input d, pss analysis gives error: Matrix is singular (detected at `I15:idt0'). Perhaps something goes wrong with the integration used in the code?

Could you please suggest me what to do?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Modeling of Frequency divider - Cadence SpectreRF
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2012, 5:45am

nikgr wrote on Oct 20th, 2012, 1:44am:
So I saw the solution of frequency divider proposed by Ken Kundert for no hidden states, but it doesn't work neither because the output voltage is 0 volts.

Do you understand how that model is supposed to work?  Have you tried debugging it?  You can add lines like
$strobe("V(chg)=%d  V(hold)=%g  out=%g", V(chg), V(hold), out);
to see some of the internal workings.

A quick thought is: I noticed that Vdd=5 in his model, so if you're working with a 2.5V or lower supply, you'll never get above the threshold assumed by that model.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.