The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 8:16am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Precision Analog Transimpedance Gain Control (Read 1561 times)
dannybeckett

Precision Analog Transimpedance Gain Control
Apr 15th, 2013, 6:20am

Hi guys,

First time posting here so, hello y'all =] Basically I need to control the gain of a transimpedance amplifier in a very clean and precise manor, for a capacitance meter I am designing. I'm going to be sensing currents down in the nA range, with an excitation signal of up to about 100KHz. The reason for such small currents is because the excitation amplitude cannot exceed ~10mV. This would be fine, but for my application the current flowing is about 20nA at low frequencies and up to about 50uA or greater at higher frequencies. This means I need to be able to control the gain of the transimpedance amplifier to select different current ranges. Does anyone have an expertise in this area of electronics design? I am currently considering using JFETs as resistors, reed relays to psychically swap out fixed precision resistors and possibly the use of a digitally programmable potentiometer. Sensitivity, capacitance and frequency response need to be considered!

Cheers for any help,

Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Re: Precision Analog Transimpedance Gain Control
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2013, 12:35pm

hello,
yes you are correct, some how you need to change the FB res, but a transistor with continuous may not be a good idea due to vds sensitivity and non-linear control. Your 2nd option digital control resister  was very good from practical point. Otherwise use logarithmic clipping which compress gain as function of log(current). You can refer the following pap.

130dB-DR Transimpedance Amplifier with Monotonic Logarithmic
Compression and a High-Current Monitor  

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.