The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 3rd, 2024, 3:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
single-ended to fully differential conversion, AD8476. (Read 8988 times)
Jacki

single-ended to fully differential conversion, AD8476.
Aug 10th, 2013, 8:56am

Hi,

I want to design a single-ended to differential converter with resistive feedback and fully differential Opamp (here I am not interested in the CG-CS noise cancel or CS-CS noise cancel architecture).

I find AD8476 from ADI company could achieve the single-ended to differential conversion very well. Is anybody know what the main function of AD8476? Is it a very good fully differential Opamp, or it is not just an Opamp but with some other complex functions?

Thank you.
   Jacki

View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Re: single-ended to fully differential conversion, AD8476.
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2013, 2:29am

Hi,

Maybe I can ask the question in another way, is it possible to converter the singled-ended input signal to differential output signals from the architecture shown below?

diff.png
View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2013, 2:59am

I think it is possible to use this architecture to get the single-ended to differential conversion. But how to make it as idea as possible? Like decreasing the distortion?

Jacki.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2013, 7:59am

Hi,

If you treat the single-ended input as a common-mode + differential signal, then you just want to reject the common-mode part. So i guess you want to make sure the amplifier has very good common-mode rejection.

Also, you should check the common-mode output impedance. If it is high compared to those resistor values, then the effectiveness might depend on the loading to the op-amp.

just my thoughts...
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
Jacki

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2013, 1:54am

aaron_do wrote on Aug 12th, 2013, 7:59am:
Hi,

If you treat the single-ended input as a common-mode + differential signal, then you just want to reject the common-mode part. So i guess you want to make sure the amplifier has very good common-mode rejection.

Also, you should check the common-mode output impedance. If it is high compared to those resistor values, then the effectiveness might depend on the loading to the op-amp.

just my thoughts...
Aaron

Thank you very much Aaron,

Cancel the common mode voltage is one side, other side is I really want to get the differential output. Because when I see the document of AD8476, they really show a measured figure, both negative and positive outputs could output the symmetric signals. It looks very nice. But still thank you for the comments on common mode rejection.

Jacki.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2013, 7:01pm

Hi Jacki,

I'm not sure if you understood my meaning. If you cancel the common-mode signal, all you will have left is a differential-mode signal. i.e. you will get perfect single-ended to differential conversion. That's in an ideal world however.

I had a look at the datasheet, and to me its not obvious what kind of common-mode cancellation you will get. Maybe somebody else can shed some light. If I had to guess, I would say that there are 2 factors you need to take into account.

1. The common-mode gain.
For the common-mode gain, I think it is a resistive divider between output impedance of the device, and (RFP + RFG). So at 1 MHz it would be 20/20020 = -60 dB.

2. The output balance error.
At 1 MHz its -40 dB. I assume that it means that if you provide a perfect differential signal, how much is converted to common-mode at the output.

In this case, -40 dB is much worse than -60 dB, so you can just look at the output balance error. Remember that it is frequency dependent.

regards,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Aug 13th, 2013, 9:15pm

Aaron,

If you read the product description or the app note most of your
questions will be answered.

http://www.analog.com/en/specialty-amplifiers/differential-amplifiers/ad8476/pro...

In answer to your final questions,
be careful not to confuse common mode gain (rejection) for
differential to single ended conversion. These two characteristics
are different.

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #7 - Aug 14th, 2013, 8:27am

Sheldon,

this wasn't actually my question, but perhaps you care to elaborate?

Quote:
If you read the product description or the app note most of your
questions will be answered

I read the product description (and skimmed through the data sheet) and it says that it is suitable for single-to-differential conversion, but I wasn't able to identify which parameter describes the single-ended to differential performance. What have you seen that I didn't?

Quote:
be careful not to confuse common mode gain (rejection) for
differential to single ended conversion. These two characteristics
are different.

Common-mode gain normally means common-mode input to differential output conversion gain, but what I was referring to was common-mode input to common-mode output gain. The simple calculation I included should have made that obvious.

I realise I used the wrong terminology, but honestly, the way I was using it makes more sense, and the normal meaning should be called common-mode to differential gain or something like that. Whatever the case, the datasheet doesn't say anything about common-mode input to common-mode output gain.

Is this the confusion you were talking about?

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
avlsi
Community Member

singapore
Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2013, 8:02am

single ended input - swing is Vpp
single ended to differential output - swing is 2Vpp

I see putting one end of the input to Vcm will give single ended to differential operation. This is what your circuit also shows.

Did you simulate?

Winners never Quit,Quitters never Win
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.