The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 5:13am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how critical is the loop filter capacitor layout in a PLL? (Read 1735 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

how critical is the loop filter capacitor layout in a PLL?
Sep 30th, 2013, 7:09pm

Hi all,

just wondering how critical is the loop filter capacitor's layout in a PLL? I was thinking to fill up some of my empty space in the layout with the loop filter capacitor. So it would be a little spread out.

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
tm123
Community Member

Chicago, IL
Re: how critical is the loop filter capacitor layout in a PLL?
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2013, 11:26am

Aaron,

The only thing I can think of right now is make sure not to route the VCO control voltage line near anything that could couple to it and cause you spurious headaches.  So if one of the plates of the capacitor is connected to the control voltage line make sure you review all other routes around the cap.  No signal routing, clock routing, etc. should be near the cap.  I will post again if I think of anything else.

Tim

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2013, 5:40pm

Thanks for the advice.

Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #3 - Dec 25th, 2013, 9:11pm

Tim gives good advice.  If your PLL depends on an accurate loop filter value it is a poor design.  That said, remember that the loop filter control voltage is the holy node for a PLL and needs to be protected at all costs.  I would run it from the charge pump to the filter cap on a high metal with a ground shield beneath it.  Also,  make sure your loop filter cap is shielded and make sure there is a guard ring (preferably double guard rings around it).

Remember that the absolute value of on-chip caps can vary by +/- 10 or 15% if you are using MIMs and more than 25% if you are using MOSCAPs.  Be sure you can trim your filter caps with register bits.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2013, 10:58am

aaron_do wrote on Sep 30th, 2013, 7:09pm:
Hi all,

just wondering how critical is the loop filter capacitor's layout in a PLL? I was thinking to fill up some of my empty space in the layout with the loop filter capacitor. So it would be a little spread out.

thanks,
Aaron

Great opportunity to couple noise into the VCO control voltage!

If jitter (or phase noise) is not important then go for it.

Invariably, the most noise sensitive node in any PLL-VCO is the node between the charge pump out and the VCO in.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 2013, 11:01am

carlgrace wrote on Dec 25th, 2013, 9:11pm:
Tim gives good advice.  If your PLL depends on an accurate loop filter value it is a poor design.  That said, remember that the loop filter control voltage is the holy node for a PLL and needs to be protected at all costs.  I would run it from the charge pump to the filter cap on a high metal with a ground shield beneath it.  Also,  make sure your loop filter cap is shielded and make sure there is a guard ring (preferably double guard rings around it).

Remember that the absolute value of on-chip caps can vary by +/- 10 or 15% if you are using MIMs and more than 25% if you are using MOSCAPs.  Be sure you can trim your filter caps with register bits.

Shield it with a ground where the ground is connected to the VCO reference ground, and only to that ground.

- no current in the ground shield

- ground on an IC is like a trampoline.

Jerry Twomey
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2014, 6:34pm

Thanks for all the help guys.

Quote:
Shield it with a ground where the ground is connected to the VCO reference ground, and only to that ground.

Just wondering, are you implying that the VCO ground should be separate from the rest of the PLL's ground?

thanks,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2014, 4:29pm

aaron_do wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014, 6:34pm:
Thanks for all the help guys.

Quote:

Just wondering, are you implying that the VCO ground should be separate from the rest of the PLL's ground?

thanks,
Aaron

Impossible to truly separate. You need to process everything differentially and try to optimize your local ground integrity.

However, if you are trying to shield a signal, you wish the shield to be referenced to the receiver's ground, and avoid currents in the ground shield.

That says the ground shield is connected to the receiver's ground only.

Jerry Twomey
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2014, 4:53pm

thanks for the insight

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.