The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 3rd, 2024, 6:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SAR ADC decoupling capacitance (Read 9187 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

SAR ADC decoupling capacitance
Jan 29th, 2014, 2:06am

Hi all,

I've noticed that not many papers talk about the decoupling capacitance requirements of a relatively high-speed (say 100 MS/s) high-resolution (>10 b) SAR ADC. However, based on my simulations, the amount of decoupling capacitance required for the reference voltages could be up to 1 nF. I've also noticed from the micrographs that there's a conspicuous amount of die area not part of the "core area" in some of these designs. For instance, one paper I recently read had at least 0.5 mm2 of unlabeled die area. With about 3fF/um2 that could translate to 1.5 nF of decoupling capacitance.

So part 1 of my question is, is such a large capacitance practical? Part 2 is, since its decoupling cap, is there any issue with combining MOM and MOS caps?

thanks,
Aaron

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Re: SAR ADC decoupling capacitance
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2014, 10:16am

Question 2:  No problem (probably).  People put MIMs on top of MOS caps all the time.  A few processes don't allow diffusion on MIM so check your design rules.

Question 1: 1 nF is probably not practical.  There are two schools of thought for ADC reference design.  Either a) you make the reference super-duper low impedance so that the delta-q from the ADC isn't enough to move the reference more than an LSB/2.  Or, b) you can make a fast reference buffer that recovers before the next sampling event.

Typically people use a) if they can put the decoupling (or at least most of it) off chip.  Beware the bondwire inductance if you do this.

People typically use b) when they need an internal reference decoupling.  The downside is you need to design a fast, low-impedance buffer (typically class A/B).

You can spec out your buffer by calculating the current it will need to supply to the reference node.  Figure out the worst cast delta-Q (based on your reference voltage and your cap sizes) and then use the sampling period (your delta-t) to calculate current requirements (delta i = (delta Q)/(delta t))

Good luck!

PS I thought you were working on a pipelined ADC?

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2014, 6:40pm

Hi carlgrace,

thanks for the help. Well the specs I was given seem like they can be comfortably achieved with a pipelined architecture, but it would be a stretch with a SAR. Looks like we decided to go with the SAR because its lower power, and it can only get better with technology. The biggest issue however seems to be the reference.

Why do you think 1 nF is not practical? Is it just a size/cost issue? Or do you think the Q would not be good enough? Looking at the research papers from IMEC, their power consumption is on the order of just a few mW. This doesn't seem achievable with a proper reference buffer. Furthermore, they appear to use bonding wires (not flip chip), so the other option is tons of decoupling...

thanks,
Aaron

EDIT: actually I did a quick calculation for the decoupling cap just based on charge sharing, and it seems 2N times as much decoupling cap. So it might end up much more than 1 nF...

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2014, 9:57pm by aaron_do »  

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2014, 12:09am

Hi carlgrace,

I've done some more analysis, and regarding option a) I came to a weird conclusion regarding the decoupling capacitance. The conclusion is, "if you want to decouple the reference, you need a huge capacitance. If you aren't willing to put that much decoupling capacitance, then its better not to have any decoupling capacitance at all." The reason is that when you add decoupling, the time-constant of the on-chip reference increases. Since it takes longer to settle, you have to make sure the initial spike in the reference voltage is less than 0.5 LSB.

I reached this conclusion after simulating a series RLC with a damping factor of 1. I swept the value of the capacitor, and checked how long it takes to settle to within 12b resolution.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant by "Typically people use a) if they can put the decoupling (or at least most of it) off chip." The problem with this method is that my circuit would be more sensitive to any other noise...

thanks,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2014, 1:48am

aaron_do wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014, 12:09am:
I've done some more analysis, and regarding option a) I came to a weird conclusion regarding the decoupling capacitance. The conclusion is, "if you want to decouple the reference, you need a huge capacitance. If you aren't willing to put that much decoupling capacitance, then its better not to have any decoupling capacitance at all." The reason is that when you add decoupling, the time-constant of the on-chip reference increases. Since it takes longer to settle, you have to make sure the initial spike in the reference voltage is less than 0.5 LSB.
Correct.
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is what you meant by "Typically people use a) if they can put the decoupling (or at least most of it) off chip."
If you can solve your problem by using a big (off-chip) decoupling cap, then it is usually (YMMV) the most efficient way to do so.
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #5 - Feb 3rd, 2014, 5:11am

thanks!

Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2014, 5:21am

Aaron,
don't forget the following spikes...
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
carlgrace

Berkeley, CA
Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2014, 8:33pm

Aaron,

You're right that not putting enough decoupling capacitance won't help you much.  But believe if you don't put any at all you'll be sorry!  If you can't (or don't want to) put enough capacitance on the chip, go for method b.

People often try to just put a huge cap off chip and forget about it.  This sometimes works but if your ADC is fast the bondwires will kill your reference settling.  Even though the caps are low impedance the bond wire becomes higher and higher impedance.

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2014, 10:34pm

Hi boe and carlgrace,

Quote:

I didn't get that. Could you elaborate? thanks

Quote:
But believe if you don't put any at all you'll be sorry!  If you can't (or don't want to) put enough capacitance on the chip, go for method b.

my reference will be VDD and GND, but what I wanted to do was feed them in through separate bondwires. I re-did my simulations/calculations, and found that I need around 40 nF of capacitance. I assume the problem you are implying is that the huge voltage spikes will couple to nearby lines etc. So that means that there's a tradeoff between the voltage spike, and how fast I can run my circuit.

I've included my simulation in the next two posts. Basically the current pulse is adding 1pC of charge each cycle, and I'm seeing what is the effect of different capacitor sizes from 10 pF to 10 nF in a logarithmic sweep. The resistor is sized so that the damping factor is always equal to 1. You can see that the 10 pF cap settles the fastest, and takes roughly 1 ns. Its not obvious, but for the 1 nF capacitor, in 1 ns, the reference only settles to about 9.3-bit accuracy.

Perhaps as you say a buffer is the best option.

thanks for the help,
Aaron

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2014, 10:35pm

Here's the schematic

2014_Feb_decouplingCapSch.jpg

View Profile   IP Logged
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2014, 10:35pm

Here's the simulation results

2014_Feb_decouplingCap.jpg

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2014, 5:22am

aaron_do wrote on Feb 3rd, 2014, 10:34pm:
Quote:

I didn't get that. Could you elaborate? thanks
Aaron,
I meant that if you do a conversion, there will be more than on spike on Vref: so you may need to look at the settling behavior of Vref wrt. spikes over time with several pulses [or even conversions] (depending on use case [e.g. discontinuous operation], loading vs. drive strength, gain, ...).
- B O E

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.